Problems Upgrading MD 2010 to 2021 & Mac OS Catalina to Big Sur

mike.mcdonald.okc

18 Oct, 2021 02:28 AM

My mom's computer guy upgraded her MD 2010 Beta to MD 2021.1 (3069) & also Mac OS Catalina to Big Sur both about the same time, not sure which was first.

The MD 2021 will open in Big Sur, and seems to have some bits & pieces of corrupted data but not correct or complete. We can't import/open any MD 2010 backups, nor can we open MD 2010 in the Big Sur OS environment.

I've seen some support articles saying older MD files need to go certain migration steps to current 2021. Can we go back to MD 2010 in a different OS - PC/Windows 10 is one option, if we can pull in the MD 2010 files saved in a Mac Catalina, or does it have to be Mac?

Any suggestions on next steps would be a great help, thanks!

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 18 Oct, 2021 02:44 AM

I'm a fellow user.

Moneydance 2010 used a filename with an extension of .md and backups with a file extension of .md_<date>

Take a copy of a backup file, remove the _<date> from the file extension and see if MD2021 will open the file.

MD2010 is not expected to work on Big Sur, Apple have made many changes over the years and do not seem concerned with backward compatibility.

Reports are that MD 2010 runs on Windows 10 and I did have it installed for a short time on this version when testing upgrades to later releases.

Moneydance data files are compatible across all operating systems.

2. mike.mcdonald.okc closed this discussion on 18 Oct, 2021 02:48 AM.

3. mike.mcdonald.okc re-opened this discussion on 18 Oct, 2021 02:49 AM

4. 2 Posted by mike.mcdonald.o... on 18 Oct, 2021 02:51 AM

Thanks, this seemed to work! I was able to import the MD 2010 files into the PC/WIN10 system running MD 2021. Thanks!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac