Spurious transaction

Tom

20 Oct, 2021 11:22 AM

Every month, an automatic transfer transaction appears in my IRA for a transfer of funds from my checking account. The problem is that no such transaction actually exists, and there's no Reminder for it. Every month I delete it, and the next month it comes back. I had a single transaction like this many months ago, but it wasn't recurring. How do I fix this?

1. 1 Posted by Tom on 20 Oct, 2021 11:41 AM

Here is a little more information.
    Every month, there is an automatic purchase from Checking account 2 to a Vanguard IRA, for $100. When I download transactions for the checking account, it appears in the IRA account as "VANGUARD BUY INVESTMENT", and shows the IRA account as the recipient. So far, so good.

The next day, the transfer actually hits the IRA account for real. When I download the IRA transactions, the $100 transfer shows up as a duplicate, coming from a different checking account (maybe the default.) It does not recognize the original $100 transfer in the IRA as the matching transaction. If I delete it, and download again, it reappears. MD does not recognize this $100 IRA deposit as an existing transaction.

The log looks like this, and it's odd because there aren't two transactions to download, there's only one.

reading transaction list for (IRA: XXX:4183399)
    Ignoring extraneous OFX tag: <DTSTART>20211013160000.000[-5:EST]
    Ignoring extraneous OFX tag: <DTEND>20211020063005.000[-5:EST]
    logging txn; file: tiksync/out/20211020111517_366.txn-tmp
    account modified: IRA: XXX
    account modified: IRA: XXX
    it took 0.016 seconds to eliminate 1 duplicates from 2 downloaded transactions

2. 2 Posted by Tom on 20 Oct, 2021 11:43 AM

The only way I've been able to avoid the duplicate is to allow it to add the incorrect transaction from Checking #1, and then I manually add a credit for Checking #2. MD is insisting that there be a transfer from Checking #1 even though Checking #2 is the proper account. If I delete the incorrect Checking #1 transfer, MD will download it again.

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 20 Oct, 2021 12:18 PM

Do this... Launch the console and KEEP IT OPEN... Then with it open, do the download. Go back to console. You will then see the actual txn details...

(not support, just a fellow user)

4. 4 Posted by Tom on 20 Oct, 2021 12:36 PM

I did that -- I posted the relevant data in my initial post. But that doesn't tell me what is actually happening behind the scenes. There's no way to see what data + logic MD is using to determine what a duplicate is.

5. 5 Posted by Tom on 20 Oct, 2021 12:38 PM

I'm going to make a guess here. I think Moneydance is having an issue with multiple bank accounts at the same institution as well as matching. I have two checking accounts at TD Bank. When MD downloads the transaction that represents a transfer into Vanguard from TD Bank, it doesn't know which TD Bank checking account to use, so it picks the first one in the list. Even if I have a reminder transaction that represents the proper account, MD doesn't actually do any transaction matching in the investment register. I think that's the real problem: not trying to match transactions in the investment account.

It's kind of a weird timing thing with Vanguard: the checking account transfer clears on, say, Monday night. But then on Tuesday night, the Vanguard side of the transfer clears. MD seems to have no way to know that the Monday checking transaction and the Tuesday Vanguard transaction are two sides of the same transfer. And it doesn't try to match them. That's my theory.

6. 6 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 20 Oct, 2021 01:10 PM

You would see a lot more in console if there were data in the ofx download (and if console is open). Or console was not open? This makes me think that no data is actually downloaded.

What version of MD are you running. The toolbox extension. Online banking menu. Show bank profile data will show you your account linkages.

If I recall, MD does not run ‘matching/merging’ on investment accounts. Hence the dup. What happens if you leave both txns and only when you have two txns, do a match from within the bank account. Does this help it learn?

(Not support, just a fellow user)

7. 7 Posted by Tom on 20 Oct, 2021 01:24 PM

Data is definitely downloaded from somewhere. If I delete the transaction entirely, and then run a download on the investment account, it recreates the transaction in the investment account.

I just tried this... I deleted the transaction for this month in the investment account. I then downloaded again. A uncleared transfer appears in the investment account coming from the wrong bank account. I edit the bank account there, and then I save and confirm. If I then download again, MD does not create a duplicate. So, this seems to have worked, but the real test will be a month from now when we repeat the process!

8. System closed this discussion on 19 Jan, 2022 01:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac