Setting up sync fails with "Sorry, there was a problem creating the file"

martin

23 Oct, 2021 08:42 PM

So, been using MD for good number of years, and have previously had sync working (in various ways) between various computers. Have never thought it was a very robust, or clearly documented, or well implemented UX, but YMMV!

Just trying to get back to syncing, having only been operating on one computer... so, here's how I've tried to prepare for a fresh sync:
- both machines updated to 2022.1 (4058)
- file export backup for protection on existing computer
- turn off Sync (Dropbox Connection) on existing computer
- delete the .moneydancesync folder in Dropbox on that computer
- delete all moneydance files on 2nd computer
- start MD on 1st computer, turn on sync (Dropbox connection), and see it create a sync file on .moneydancesync on exit
- start MD on 2nd computer, choose create new account set
- choose 'open synced file' (Dropbox Connection)
- authorise Dropbox (NB account is not the account on this computer, but the same Dropbox account as on my 1st computer - both computers have their own dropbox accounts)
- authorises OK and I click NExt, choose the file from 'select a synced document to open' dialog in MD (it's the correct file, with the correct time on it)
- enter the encryption password
- "Performing iniital sync. This may take a little while..." shows (and I see a sync file created in the .moneydancesycn folder so it's definitiely connected)
- but then EVERY TIME it fails with "Sorry, there was a problem creating the file" and all I can do is quit out of it.
- retrying a new account set on the 2nd computer (same process as above) repeats the failure.
All that is evident in the MD file on the 1st computer when I restart it is that an additional bank account has been created, with a random name and no value. Random name is of the form xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxx

Just reinforces my prejudice that Sync is flakey on MD (and fails to meet my need to run it on two computers)!

Any thoughts?

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 23 Oct, 2021 09:36 PM

Try this...

On main computer File/Export backup
    then File/Restore from backup and use this as you live file...

This procedure (restore) wipes out your sync settings

Now setup sync
    Wait....
    on 2nd computer File/Open Sync'd copy... Make sure you select the newly created sync dataset. See if that works

(not support, just a fellow user)

2. 2 Posted by martin on 24 Oct, 2021 07:50 AM

Thanks, Stuart, tried that as well, same result :-(

Also, worth saying, it's not a connectivity issue - I've got pretty solid internet and all the dropbox syncing seems to be working as expected, and at a good speed.

Next steps?

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 24 Oct, 2021 09:31 AM

Pls do Window/Show Console and post the results of that after it fails...

(not support, just a fellow user)

4. 4 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 24 Oct, 2021 09:32 AM

PS - Install Dropbox locally, ensure that is logged in and working, and then try Dropbox folders instead of Dropbox connection.

5. 5 Posted by Carl S. on 05 Dec, 2021 06:04 PM

I'm seeing the same issue. As near as I can tell it happened after I restored from a backup and tried to reenable syncing on my two computers.

Both systems are running 2022.2

errlog.txt pasted below:

Starting Moneydance 2022.2 (4060) at Sun Dec 05 12:26:18 EST 2021
    Settings Folder: C:\Users\cswan\.moneydance
    Java: 17 (Eclipse Adoptium)
    Is in sandbox: false; restricted file access: false
    Library path: c:\program files\moneydance\jre\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\WINDOWS\System32\OpenSSH\;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\;C:\Program Files\PuTTY\;C:\Program Files\Git\cmd;C:\Users\cswan\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\;C:\Users\cswan\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Nmap;
    initialized extension moneyforesight in 0.097 seconds
    Initializing fonts:
      default: [[Dialog]]
      printing: [[Dialog]]
      monospaced: [[Calibri, Monospaced]]
      coding: [[Hack, Monospaced]]
    fonts resolved:
     default: Dialog:12.0:style0
     mono: Calibri:12.0:style0
     coding: Hack:12.0:style0
     print: Dialog:12.0:style0
     header: Dialog:14.0:style0
     register: Dialog:11.0:style0
     reportTitle: Dialog:32.0:style0
     calendarTitle: Dialog:11.0:style0
     reportHeader: Dialog:10.0:style0
     detailTitle: Dialog:14.0:style0
    Setting look and feel class to com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsLookAndFeel
    opening last file: null
    Update info received with successful signature verification
    Version info retrieved; we are up to date!
    loading dataset: C:\Users\cswan\.moneydance\Documents\c0382526-2f5c-4f61-aae8-8d47f469922e.tempmoneydance
    Unable to get metadata for path /.moneydancesync/4ca4fe0f-ac9c-45e1-b7c2-ca7f4cbca36c: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: String 'path' does not match pattern
    Unable to get metadata for path /.moneydancesync/4ca4fe0f-ac9c-45e1-b7c2-ca7f4cbca36c: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: String 'path' does not match pattern
    Unable to inspect potential syncable document folder: DropboxAPI:/.moneydancesync/ee5862af-1407-4b5f-9c75-61b130515d77; error: com.dropbox.core.v2.files.DownloadErrorException: Exception in 2/files/download: {".tag":"path","path":"not_found"}
    Unable to inspect potential syncable document folder: DropboxAPI:/.moneydancesync/e944a142-8884-42a7-8546-a1c5b6b358f2; error: com.dropbox.core.v2.files.DownloadErrorException: Exception in 2/files/download: {".tag":"path","path":"not_found"}
    Unable to inspect potential syncable document folder: DropboxAPI:/.moneydancesync/1a81d6ed-9314-4e31-906f-a19cc055664e; error: com.dropbox.core.v2.files.DownloadErrorException: Exception in 2/files/download: {".tag":"path","path":"not_found"}
    Unable to inspect potential syncable document folder: DropboxAPI:/.moneydancesync/2459b1cc-9184-4862-852e-055b130a1a3b; error: com.dropbox.core.v2.files.DownloadErrorException: Exception in 2/files/download: {".tag":"path","path":"not_found"}
    error creating base folder: com.dropbox.core.v2.files.CreateFolderErrorException: Exception in 2/files/create_folder: {".tag":"path","path":{".tag":"conflict","conflict":"folder"}}
    starting syncing via encryptedFS(DropboxAPI:/.moneydancesync/4ca4fe0f-ac9c-45e1-b7c2-ca7f4cbca36c)
    Warning: no root account was found! Re-adding.

6. 6 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 05 Dec, 2021 06:31 PM

I would install Dropbox client locally. Log it in and make sure it’s working. Then select Dropbox folders (not DB connection) and try again.

7. 7 Posted by Carl S. on 07 Dec, 2021 05:44 AM

Loading the file using Dropbox folders Gives no error message, but no information loads. Just three empty bank accounts named with what look like GUIDs (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxx)

8. 8 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 07 Dec, 2021 06:51 AM

So what steps have you done?
    1/ install dropbox client, log it in, make sure it's working
    2/ File/Export backup
    3/ File/Restore from backup
    4/ File/Sync.. Dropbox Folders... wait for Sync
    5/ in your dropbox folder, open the hidden .moneydancesync folder
    6/ do you see a looooong name folder just created?
    7/ on second computer, install dropbox, log it in, ensure it works. Can you see the same folder?
    8/ File/New/Open Sync Copy. Select the new sync folder

on both, Help/Console, save consoles and post back here

9. 9 Posted by Carl S. on 15 Dec, 2021 09:19 PM

I followed your steps as well as I could - here are the results.

1. Installed the dropbox client on console 1, verified it's working.
    2. Backup exported successfully.
    3. Backup restored on console 1 successfully.
    4. MD synced to dropbox folders successfully.
    5. .moneydancesync folder exists in dropbox folder.
    6. .moneydancesync contains a folder named d630db5a-ebe8-4e89-bcfc-82dcafaece84
    7. installed dropbox client, logged in and synced on console-2.
    8. opening synced copy from the dropbox folder gives me a single a file with a single bank account named "Restored 9be5d3a3-8af0-4967-a376-3a464697928d from txn.."

Console output from both systems attached.

10. 10 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 15 Dec, 2021 10:27 PM

There’s something very wrong when u open the sync copy on 2nd computer.

loading dataset: C:\Users\cswan.moneydance\Documents\5e3a18d0-6e2c-473b-bb0b-1bf740ed5bff.tempmoneydance
    Unable to inspect potential syncable document folder: GenericFSSyncFolder:dropbox_folder:base=C:\Users\cswan\Dropbox.moneydancesync:subpath=9fe5e876-4dbc-4f02-88cc-eb7d31b7f214:; error: java.lang.Exception: Attempting to read non-existent sync file: 'tiksync_info.txt' (C:\Users\cswan\Dropbox.moneydancesync\9fe5e876-4dbc-4f02-88cc-eb7d31b7f214\tiksync_info.txt)
    starting syncing via encryptedFS(GenericFSSyncFolder:dropbox_folder:base=C:\Users\cswan\Dropbox.moneydancesync:subpath=d630db5a-ebe8-4e89-bcfc-82dcafaece84:)

After this, everything goes wrong.

My hunch is permissions on the Dropbox folder, or AV or something.

But failing this, sorry, I don’t know what else to suggest.

11. System closed this discussion on 16 Mar, 2022 10:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac