Error opening MD files in Monterey

marcbiz

27 Oct, 2021 03:02 PM

The latest stable version of MoneyDance (2022.1 4058) experiences an error on launch when attempting to open the previously opened data file. Attempts to open the data file listed in the launch window also experiences the same error (that is depicted in the attachment).

1. 1 Posted by marcbiz on 27 Oct, 2021 03:06 PM

Fyi - MoneyDance is approved for access to the Documents folder on my account, and double clicking the data file directly successfully opens the file in MoneyDance.

2. 2 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 27 Oct, 2021 03:08 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

That's very bad!

Has Monterey moved your dataset to iCloud by any chance..? Your dataset must not be on a Cloud drive..?

Do you have a recent backup?

3. 3 Posted by marcbiz on 27 Oct, 2021 03:13 PM

The data file is on the local internal drive. The file can be opened from the Finder (double clicking it launches MD and opens successfully) but cannot be opened from MoneyDance's file dialog/window nor upon direct launch of MoneyDance (i.e. MD can't open the last opened file). And yes, there are Time Machine backups of the data file.

4. 4 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 27 Oct, 2021 03:18 PM

Do you have a recent backup?

If so, I would close MD, and double click the most recent xxx.moneydancearchive file to restore that...

(not support, just a fellow user)

5. 5 Posted by marcbiz on 27 Oct, 2021 03:25 PM

The data file is working (and can be opened by double clicking it in the Finder) - the issue appears to be MoneyDance's ability to request a file to be opened on macOS Monterey.

6. 6 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 27 Oct, 2021 04:03 PM

Can you find errlog.txt after you get this error and post that?

7. 7 Posted by marcbiz on 27 Oct, 2021 05:47 PM

Here's the errlog.txt - the error can be seen near the bottom...

8. 8 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 27 Oct, 2021 05:59 PM

Ok. Now can you open by double clicking (which works). Then send that console too?

It sounds like a permissions problem somehow?

9. 9 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 27 Oct, 2021 06:26 PM

Also, can you navigate to the file in Finder... CMD-I and look at the permissions.
    Then right-click and show package contents.. Then select key, then CMD-I and again look at permissions?

10. 10 Posted by marcbiz on 28 Oct, 2021 05:44 PM

11. 11 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 28 Oct, 2021 06:00 PM

I'm at a bit of a loss... I suspect a user/permissions problem..

As a test you could try granting Full Disk Access to Moneydance, as a temporary test to see what happens..

Failing that I would double-click open the dataset, do a file/export backup... Then try File/restore backup.. and then see if that file will reopen OK when you launch MD... (this will put the restore in the normal internal MD location)...

12. 12 Posted by marcbiz on 28 Oct, 2021 06:20 PM

Thanks Stuart - I too suspected a permissions issue that was associated with the upgrade to macOS Monterey. BUT, surprisingly the issue has resolved on its own - bizarre! The only thing that changed was several restarts of the Mac - perhaps there was a post Monterey installation artifact that was resolved by restarting?? Whatever it was, MoneyDance is now able to open data set files again from within the app as well as open the last opened file upon launch.

13. Maddy closed this discussion on 28 Oct, 2021 07:36 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

24 Jan, 2022 12:53 AM
24 Jan, 2022 12:15 AM
23 Jan, 2022 09:39 PM