data lost

lists5040

25 Jan, 2010 10:24 PM

I have been using Moneydance for 4 years without any problems. I am still on the 2008 version. I am using a Macbook Pro running snow leopard. Two days ago, I downloaded my financial data from my bank and balanced my checking account. Yesterday, my husband spent hours separating what was previously one category into 2 different categories, by going over each entry in the previous category and putting it one of the 2 new categories.

When I opened moneydance today all of those changes were lost. The files did not show any of those changes. What is most puzzling to me, when I opened each of the 5 days of backups, the data was the same as what I found today - with none of the recent changes..

How can this be? I can't think of any logical reason for this to happen, especially to find that all of the 5 days of backups do not have the data. I am not a computer newbie, nor am I new to Moneydance.

Any suggestions?????

Thanks for any help.

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 26 Jan, 2010 06:08 PM

I can only imagine that the data was not saved before the program was closed. Perhaps the computer was shut down while the program was running or even powered off without shutting down.

One other possibility is if you run the program on two computers with a single data file it is possible that if the file is open on two computers at the same itme the second computer to save will overwrite the changes made by the first.

I am sorry that you have lost your work and I am afraid that it sounds like it is not recoverable.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

2. Raimund Buchholz closed this discussion on 12 May, 2010 02:09 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac