Text (csv) import error from File/Import

gpolk

03 Nov, 2021 04:50 PM

Platform: linux
MD version: 2022.2 (4060)

I have seen this error posted previously with no resolution other than a possible issue relating to version.

When I attempt an csv file import, I get the error "java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "com.infinitekind.moneydance.model.Account.getCurrencyType()" because "fromAccount" is null"

The error appears to be related to data in my "Category" field of my csv file but I cannot see any errors in the data when I examine the file manually.

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 03 Nov, 2021 04:56 PM

Please post the whole Help>Console output
    Also, if you are willing, post the csv file with the error; or enough of it to give the error...

2. 2 Posted by gpolk on 03 Nov, 2021 05:00 PM

The issue was resolved by changing the date format in the csv file. I found this by experimentation - the MD error was not informative AT ALL.

Edit: Issue was NOT resolved. My analysis was incorrect. I'm am still experiencing the import problem.

3. 3 Posted by gpolk on 03 Nov, 2021 07:07 PM

4. 4 Posted by gpolk on 03 Nov, 2021 08:09 PM

Seems as though the problem is related to having NEW categories with sub categories in the csv file. (with colon separation)
    e.g. "New Category:Subcategory"
    It seems to me that MD has previously been able to handle this format on import and automatically add the category(s) and subcategory(s)

5. 5 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 04 Nov, 2021 08:44 AM

OK, it's a bug(ette)..... When you specify an account such as 'aaa:bbb' and when aaa does not exist, then it fails.... So when aaa exists, then it can create 'bbb'.... So perhaps create the top level accounts first.... Remove all second-levels, run the import, then delete all the txns, put the second-levels back, re-run the import.,,,

6. System closed this discussion on 03 Feb, 2022 08:50 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac