Finding my Moneydance backup files

Christine

05 Nov, 2021 07:37 PM

I cannot find my most recent Moneydance data file. Where does it go when it automatically backs up a file when you close down Moneydance?

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 05 Nov, 2021 07:54 PM

I'm a fellow user.

You can configure where backups go within preferences. If you have not changed the location backups are stored within the Moneydance Archive folder structure. You can open the archive folder by using the help menu in Moneydance and selecting Show Archive folder.

2. 2 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 05 Nov, 2021 07:57 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

Toolbox extension. Find datasets button

3. 3 Posted by boreham on 06 Nov, 2021 06:49 PM

Another way, applicable to Macs, is Moneydance Menubar > Help has two options in the drop down:-

-Show Backups Folder

-Show Documents Folder

When you click on either of them Finder opens directly in which ever you have selected. (Documents shows your master MD Data files).

No idea about Windows. Not sure which you are using. Maybe the Archives Folder dwg mentions is where the Windows backups go. On Macs "Show Backups Folder" goes to the actual location, (whether default or customised).

4. 4 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 06 Nov, 2021 07:14 PM

or Toolbox... Show MD folder, and select the option you want...

Mr Toolbox...

5. 5 Posted by boreham on 06 Nov, 2021 07:58 PM

Stuart I just tried Toolbox to see what it showed and got the attached.

I am using 2022.2 build 4060.

The Updater extension is not offering a Toolbox update.

Am I missing something obvious?

Cancel all the above...found the Toolbox Update

6. 6 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 06 Nov, 2021 08:03 PM

It should do. Manage extensions. Find toolbox. Update.

7. 7 Posted by boreham on 06 Nov, 2021 08:15 PM

Yes thanks, I think my edit to say that I had updated crossed with your reply.

While Toolbox is obviously very powerful, for the simple task of going straight to a backup or data file, the Help menu is a lot easier!

However, as you obviously know, Help only shows Backup files in the location specified in prefs, but Toolbox will find any backup files anywhere, so could be a lifesaver if the user has been changing location and lost track.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Ethan on 07 Nov, 2021 09:03 PM

To clarify, the options in the Help menu bar to take one to the default file save locations should be present on any operating system, not just Macs. All of the above options are good suggestions. One final one would be to search your computer for all files that end with the .moneydance file extension. Let us know if you still have trouble finding your data, and what you've tried.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac