New account not synced to other device.

Ted

19 Nov, 2021 07:43 AM

I have two computers syncing via Dropbox. The master is a laptop running 2022 (4054) and slowly downloading the new preview in the background. The slave is a desktop running 2022.3 (4061).

On the secondary computer, I recently created a new investment account and entered a number of transactions. I haven't opened the laptop in a few weeks. Today, I opened MD on the laptop. After syncing, I have a "Restored" bank account that contains the 50 or so transactions that have been entered so far in the new investment account.

Sometimes when this happens, I can close the session with the Restored account, and it will fix itself when I re-open. So far, that hasn't worked with this investment account. If I take the time to recreate the account on the laptop and all 50 transactions, what will happen to the existing account on the desktop?

Is this something Stuart's Toolbox might help fix? I'm currently in China and unable to install it. That might also be related to the issue in the first place. Initially Dropbox was reporting a sync issue, but when I refreshed it said all files were properly synced. Closing and re-opening MD after that didn't correct the Restored account.

I'm wondering if it would be quickest to use Toolbox to make the desktop the master, delete the data on my laptop, and resync it as the slave. That way it should be a duplicate of the desktop. Any thoughts?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 24 Nov, 2021 11:54 AM

Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of response, Ted.

We would recommend ensuring that both computers are running the same version and build of Moneydance first - Moneydance 2022.3 (4061) would be the best option.

Lastly, you should proceed as follow:

1. Set both computers to Don’t Sync.
    2. After running the update
    3. Restart the syncing process
    4. From the Primary computer (where you data is stored in the default location you should navigate to File–> Syncing and choose Dropbox Folder
      5.Take note of your passphrase or set one - you will need to enter the same on the other computer
    5. On the secondary computer, please navigate to File –> New– >Open Synced File choose the same sync method and enter the same passphrase as the primary computer.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 24 Nov, 2021 02:47 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

Slow network might be your issue.

Grab toolbox from here:
    https://github.com/yogi1967/MoneydancePythonScripts/raw/master/tool...
    Unzip and double click toolbox.mxt to install. Accept warning signs.

To reset sync.

Set all devices to no sync.

Then toolbox. Hacker mode. Hacker menu. Force reset sync settings.

Restart MD

Then setup sync on master. Wait for sync.
    Then on secondary. File/new/open sync copy.

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 24 Nov, 2021 02:49 PM

PS. This will wipe out any unsync’d txns on secondary that haven’t sync’d

4. 4 Posted by Ted on 24 Nov, 2021 09:53 PM

Thanks for your replies. The toolbox and 4061 both downloaded eventually. Updating to 4061 didn't magically fix the restored account like it does sometimes.

I understand both of you are suggesting I stop sync and then reset it. I'm still wondering how to fix that restored account. Does my workflow at the end of the post make sense? On current master (with the bad account), set device to no sync. On current slave with good account, use toolbox to make it the master. Back on current slave, delete all MD data and start again with file,new,open sync? That way I avoid manually editing the transactions from the restored bank account into the investment account that still isn't showing up. I'm in an area with much better internet now (Netherlands) and have some time on my hands to try to fix this.

5. 5 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 24 Nov, 2021 10:03 PM

Yes. If you believe / know that your secondary is the best dataset then you can make that primary, do the no sync/toolbox/force reset sync/ procedure and then on the old primary machine do the file/new/open sync copy.

6. 6 Posted by Ted on 24 Nov, 2021 10:24 PM

Thank you, I think that is the way to go. I've spent a great deal of time working on the desktop recently, and its dataset is the most accurate. I've been meaning to make it the master anyway since I often have to remote in to complete ofx downloads anyway. Thanks for the confirmation.

7. 7 Posted by Ted on 24 Nov, 2021 11:09 PM

The steps mostly worked, except on opening the file/new/sync on the new secondary, another investment account vanished and converted itself to a restored bank account! This time the corrupted account is also on the primary computer.

Even though I've read sync is designed to handle both instances being open at the same time, I almost always make sure only one is running at a time. How do my investment accounts keep getting turned into restored bank accounts?

Now I'm going to return to the old primary and attempt to open the backup. I should have a backup from a few minutes ago where all of the accounts are in tact.

8. 8 Posted by Ted on 24 Nov, 2021 11:26 PM

This dataset is driving me mad! I opened a backup on the primary from 10 minutes ago when all of the accounts were fine. Everything looked great.

I closed it, re-opened it, and now the blasted investment account is once again turned into the restored backup bank account! I think there has to be some sort of leftover data from the previous sync setup that is making its way into my file and messing up that one account. I'm wondering if it might be time to copy the MD file to a safe location, wipe everything out on both computers, and start over with my good MD file. Once I can close and re-open it without trashing the investment account, then I'll set up sync to the secondary computer.

9. 9 Posted by dtd on 24 Nov, 2021 11:43 PM

just a user

I'm not as informed as some others, but I've found that restored accounts are often due to some corruption within the database, and setting up sync often exposes that corruption in the form of restored accounts.

What I've done (and hopefully some others will chime in with better info) is, if it is simply the same account renamed to restored, I simply rename it back.

If it is a restored account with like only a few transactions in it, I batch move them to the correct account and delete the now empty account.

If is a restored account with no transactions, I just delete it.

I am not advising you to do this until someone else chimes in, but wanted to give what I think is a partial explanation of why this might be happening, and how *I* took care of it.

Hope that helps, at least from a "driving me mad" standpoint.

10. 10 Posted by Ted on 24 Nov, 2021 11:44 PM

I'm posting for probably the final time tonight since I'm about to run out of time to work on the issue. Here's what I attempted to fix the issue:

1) On primary computer, used Toolbox to convert the restored bank account to investment. Changed name. Re-set online banking. Seemed to work.
    2) On secondary, backed up existing Moneydance files, deleted everything in the .moneydance\Documents folder.
    3) On secondary, file/new/shared folder. After initial sync, once again the investment account is a restored bank account!
    4) On primary, the investment account is correct.

When I have more time, I think I'll use the toolbox on the secondary to correct the investment account and see if that doesn't ruin everything.

11. 11 Posted by Ted on 24 Nov, 2021 11:54 PM

DUH Ok, when I applied the steps in post 7, I forgot to turn on syncing again on the new primary. That means the data file I opened on the new secondary was the old file not the new one. I'm re-running the steps with sync turned on this time to see if I can get this in the next 30 minutes before I really need to put it away.

12. 12 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 25 Nov, 2021 04:42 AM

Point 1 when you say you ‘restored’ and ‘backed’ up, how are you doing this? The MD way is file/export backup and file/restore from backup. If you simply do an Os backup/restore then you will be reconnecting to sync and changes will reappear.

Point 2. If you restart MD, wait, restart MD again you will see the true state of the dataset.

Point 3. You may have a corrupt txn reappearing. Let’s look/fix that first. Can you restart MD and then a) run analyse dataset and objects and send that output and b) help/console and send that (both as an attached txt file to this thread).

Do the above and let’s see. In fact you could always do the above for both primary and secondary (name the files) and send both.

13. 13 Posted by Ted on 25 Nov, 2021 10:58 PM

Stuart thanks for the assistance. I was backing up/restoring using MD's backup, not OS backup.

It looks like my issue all along was a corrupt transaction in the original dataset. After I cleaned up that one transaction and then remembered not to restore from the same bad backup the issue seems to have been fixed. Both computers now have the correct accounts with no restored accounts. Your Toolbox helped me through my partially self-induced troubles. Now I have to finish cleaning up the sidebar of the new secondary and re-entering all of the online passwords.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac