Plaid inconsistent downloading and matching

David Greene

19 Mar, 2022 01:05 PM

It has been over 12 hours and my bank will not update two transactions while my investment account did. However, the investment account did not allow a match to an existing transaction and recorded the download as a deposit rather than a 'transfer out', I am running version 2022.3(4068) and was hopeful the bugs on plaid had been worked out.
I notice there is a option for an attachment, but unsure how to generate log file if you need it. How often does plaid update? Is there a limit on number of times plaid updates? I was excited as version 2022.3 (4068) seemed to record many transactions automatically but is the reconciliation/plaid download feature broken?

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 19 Mar, 2022 01:58 PM

Plaid seems to cache bank transactions for a number of hours. I've seen it refresh only once per day on my banks...

2. 2 Posted by dtd on 19 Mar, 2022 10:10 PM

I've reported the transfer out bug (reversed signs) to the developer and in here:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/online-banking/21857-schwab-download-feedback#comment_50741342

You may wish to post in there to show that many are encountering this bug and maybe it will get attention.

3. 3 Posted by dtd on 19 Mar, 2022 10:10 PM

I concur with Stuart that the download timing from Plaid could be better, but I don't think that can be "fixed".

4. 4 Posted by David Greene on 19 Mar, 2022 11:57 PM

Another aggregator service I use to look backward is personal capital, and
    they do it much more frequently. Don't understand why plaid so untimely.
    I think 'reconciling' after 9am the next day is probably what I will do.
    Just need to make sure recording all transactions timely myself on md
    mobile app ! Lol
       Thanks for posting the reverse sign and wrong default category on
    transfers from investment to checking account.

5. 5 Posted by David Greene on 29 Mar, 2022 07:48 PM

Is this another bug?  I cannot get split transaction to come up under the investment transaction for 'miscexp'?  (trying to record multiple splits to capture fed and state tax on an ira to regular account transfer).  The following 'split' does not appear in category box:  

6. 6 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 29 Mar, 2022 08:02 PM

Investment txns cannot have account/categories split. You can only select one.

I can bore you with the technical reasons if needed 😉

7. 7 Posted by David Greene on 29 Mar, 2022 08:20 PM

That's fine.  As a retired CPA, I keep trying to use MD as a bookkeeping system.  I will just input zero dollar one line transactions to correct.  Again, appreciated the tool you furnished before and I appreciate the knowledge exhibited by many here at MD.  NOTE:  Assume as each new version is released, they alert us in some way, either through this conversation strand or by email?

8. 8 Posted by dtd on 29 Mar, 2022 11:15 PM

just a user - actually, the only way you'd get a preview release notification is if you have the Updates Extension installed, and ask for preview/beta notifications (which I personally don't recommend)

Though not true of standard stable releases, then you just have Updates Extension installed and you get notified.

Otherwise, you just come to this forum and see a flurry of comments from people who downloaded the new preview version... with either their complaints or fixes complements.

9. 9 Posted by derekkent23 on 30 Mar, 2022 07:55 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi David

The feature that allows you to setup an auto message about the availability of new Stable or Preview builds is no longer handled by using an Extension, certainly not after 2022.2(4060), perhaps before.

This feature is now inbuild and can be found under FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – PREFERENCES – GENERAL tab bottom dropdown CHECK FOR UPDATES.

When you start Moneydance, and a new build of the type selected is available you get a message. An example message is shown in the screen shot, which also indicate if the upgrade is free to you.

Selecting STABLE UPDATES ONLY or PREVIEW/BETA UPDATES does not commit you to a upgrade it just provides a message outlining the changes so you can make an informed decision to upgrade or not.

Clicking IGNORE VERSION stops the message being displayed the next time you start Moneydance. Clicking UPGRADE opens your browser and take you to the appropriate Moneydance download page for a manual download and install.

At any time, you can also click HELP – CHECK FOR UPDATES to check the upgrade status based on the selection you made under preferences.

Hope this helps.

10. 10 Posted by David Greene on 01 Apr, 2022 02:40 PM

good information.  Thank you.   

I noticed another bug.  When reconciling an investment account, it does NOT give you the option of 'Merge' when you already have recorded the transaction.  The 'Merge' feature works in Checking Account but NOT in an Investment Account.  I don't remember this being an issue in 'pre-Schwab download mess' processing.

11. 11 Posted by dtd on 01 Apr, 2022 11:45 PM

12. 12 Posted by David Greene on 01 Apr, 2022 11:52 PM

I just didn't recall having an issue before. Of course the only
    transactions I would have already recorded would have been cash deposits
    and transfers. With regular plaid downloading, transactions usually post
    about a full day late. I assume 48 hours is normal time to get all
    transactions loaded thus these days, if I want to stay current, then some
    manual transactions for investments unavoidable.

13. 13 Posted by dwg on 02 Apr, 2022 12:06 AM

I'm a fellow user.

Merge is not supported in Investment accounts.

14. 14 Posted by David Greene on 06 May, 2022 10:18 PM

Bug on 2022.3 4077. I just bought some municipal bonds, and under 'buy'
    the amount post as a negative number causing the cash balance in the
    brokerage account to increase, not decrease. Hopefully someone has already
    caught this. I manually corrected as I don't buy too many bonds right now,
    for obvious reasons.

15. 15 Posted by dtd on 06 May, 2022 11:02 PM

I've been working with Sean on reversed transaction amounts. It is possible that he hasn't caught that one given I don't do many bonds (only have one).

Go to 4078 and see if it is still there (make a backup, open the backup up, delete the bond transactions and redownload to help test) If you sync, there is a fairly new step to immediately set up syncing - say no - this not a real restore, just a test.

16. 16 Posted by David Greene on 06 May, 2022 11:17 PM

it says I have latest version, so I don't know where to get the beta.  I have had so many issues, I don't want to tinker anymore with it.  I will wait for the 'ready for primetime' fix.  lol   NOTE:  I have gone back to plaid for my checking account, the download of csv files was like doing a cross word puzzle, never knew which one you had already downloaded, as it downloaded the pending.  I will just live with the Plaid delay and look ahead (have learned to never update my investment accounts on days where I had activity, better to wait to a 'clean' day given the delay).............  'onward and upward'.
       Thanks for all your help on MD.  Appreciate it.

17. 17 Posted by dtd on 06 May, 2022 11:26 PM

moneydance.com/preview (4078) is a bug release version for 4077.

if you don't want to do testing, that's fine. Realize "ready for primetime" - 4060 - 4077 was six months. (Oct 29 - Apr 30)

18. System closed this discussion on 05 Aug, 2022 11:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac