Moneydance 2 Java script

Judy Bonadore

02 Apr, 2022 10:02 PM

The latest iOS update apparently affected the java script for my Moneydance 2 software and I can no longer open it. I simply use it for my checkbook register and balancing of my statement. I have no need for the $50 of program you now seem to offer. How can I get use of my program back?

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 02 Apr, 2022 10:11 PM

I'm a fellow user.

I think we need to start with the basics. IOS is the operating system that runs on Apple mobile device like iPhones and iPads. Are we talking about a mobile device here or about a Mac which runs macOS. If a MAC what version of macOS have you upgraded to.

There is no software called "Moneydance 2". Again if you are on a Mac what version of Moneydance are you running, it is given under the help menu in the About option.

The Moneydance desktop software is written in the Java language, this has no relationship to Javascript, the mobile applications are not written in Java.

My suspicion is that you are on a Mac have upgraded its operating system but are using an older version of Moneydance that will not run on the latest macOS. Of course I could well be wrong but more information is needed to work out the problem.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Ethan on 02 Apr, 2022 10:26 PM

Hello,

Can you clarify which operating system you were using, and which one you are using now? Also, which version of Moneydance were you running?

My guess is similar to the speculation in the above post, but we should know more with that information. Assuming you're using a desktop system and you've upgraded MacOS, if you've just jumped a few versions, and were using an older version of Moneydance, it's likely that older version won't run. This is due to the major changes Apple often makes across its operating system upgrades. If that's your situation, we can try reinstalling the older version, but it's likely you'll need to purchase an upgrade key to run the latest version.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

3. System closed this discussion on 02 Jul, 2022 10:30 PM.

4. Judy Bonadore re-opened this discussion on 10 Jul, 2022 03:38 PM

5. 3 Posted by Judy Bonadore on 10 Jul, 2022 03:38 PM

Thanks for the help. I had continued using an older version on a laptop but
    decided to update the version on my mac. Now i seem to have a promo version
    that copied my accounts into it, but says i have no transactions available
    to use. Now what do I do?
    Judy Bonadore

6. 4 Posted by sth on 10 Jul, 2022 06:29 PM

I think this is still confusing. You are running two instances of Moneydance one on a Mac Laptop and one on a Mac desktop (iMac?). I think we all need to know the specifics to your setup to figure out what happened and how to solve this.

1. Are you using two different data files (Account Books) independently on the two machines?

2. Are you syncing the data files between the two machines? If so, what kind of syncing (Dropbox Folder, Dropbox Direct, iCloud, or Shared folder). Or are you sharing the same data file on a network storage? If the last, that is usually a route to datafile corruption.

3. Are the data files in their default locations? Or have you moved them to your desktop of documents folder for ease of backup and manipulation?

4. What OS version and what MD version (including build number) is on each machine?

5. Is the data file empty on both machines?

6. When you purchase MD the serial number is good for the current version and one major version after that. If you have an old version you can purchase a new version at half price on the MD site. Did you purchase MD through the MD website or thru the Mac App Store?

I know, a lot of questions but these synchronized setups can have a lot of variation.

7. 5 Posted by Judy Bonadore on 10 Jul, 2022 07:09 PM

1. I'm trying to use just my checkbook file. When I could no longer use it
    on my iMac (Monterey), I took a saved file and used it on my laptop (the
    apple product I used with Moneydance before I got the iMac).
    2. I transferred the file using traditional sneakernet, by copying my saved
    file to portable media.
    3. I generally save a file within my documents folder.
    4. The iMac is using OS Monterey version 12.3.1. My laptop uses Yosemite
    5. No. The data file is not empty. It has my checkbook of several years on
    it.
    6. If I'm only available for the next version up and it is not compatible
    with my imac, then this is just a waste of my time. Is it compatible, and
    can I download that version?
    Judy

8. 6 Posted by Judy Bonadore on 10 Jul, 2022 10:51 PM

The version of moneydance I’m using is 2010r3(757)
    I never felt the need to update until I suddenly couldn’t use it.

Judy Bonadore

9. 7 Posted by dwg on 10 Jul, 2022 11:12 PM

I'm a fellow user.

It seems that Apple do not have any interest in backward compatibility with applications. As a result most vendors have to update their applications to run on newer versions of macOS, Moneydance is no different in this regard, we have seen this many times over the years.

For Monterey you will need to upgrade to the latest version of Moneydance. You can get a half price upgrade through the purchase page.

In most instances Moneydance will read and convert older data files. We have seen some problems on occasions where you need to perform incremental upgrades, but they are the exception.

10. 8 Posted by sth on 11 Jul, 2022 02:20 PM

There have been changes to the Mac OS that do not allow backward compatibility but trying to run a 12 year old version of a program on a present day OS is a big lift in terms of maintaining compatibility. I have been surprised that modern day versions of MD run fine on Mac OS El Capitan which is an amazing compatibility. Expecting old versions to be able to predict OS changes 12 years out?

I misunderstood the statement about "no transactions".

A new version every 12 years for half price is probably not an unreasonable charge to keep the software running. That is about $2 / year.

My $0.02 worth.

11. Support Staff 9 Posted by Ethan on 11 Jul, 2022 10:03 PM

Hi Judy,

The above user comments are generally correct. There's no way that the 2010 version will run on a newer Mac. With all the changes that Apple has made over the years, it's usually difficult for versions to keep working for even five years at this point. In that sense, you've got a pretty good deal with being to somehow use a version that old on a Mac for so long.

The only option in this situation would be to upgrade to the latest version of Moneydance. Since you purchased a previous version of Moneydance you are entitled to a discounted half-priced upgrade. To confirm your license for a discounted upgrade, submit your license key using the following form:

http://infinitekind.com/purchase

(If you don't know your license key you can see it by running Moneydance and selecting Moneydance->About Moneydance, or by using the 'Lost Key' tool on the purchase page.)

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance,

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

12. System closed this discussion on 10 Oct, 2022 10:10 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac