Syncing between 2 computers

Mary Pace

27 Apr, 2022 06:58 PM

I am using MacOS Monterey V12.3.1 and Moneydance V2022.2 (4060) on both computers -- iMac and MacBook Pro.
We have one email address.
These are the steps I took to sync between the computers but they are not syncing. Please help.

Moneydance closed on MacBook with Don't Sync selected.
On iMac, disabled Dropbox syncing and quit Moneydance.
Deleted .moneydancesync in Dropbox.
Re-opened Moneydance on iMac and re-enabled syncing via File>Syncing (see attached file, had OK in blank box)
Didn't quit Moneydance on iMac
On MacBook, opened Moneydance, File>New
Selected "Open Synced File" > Dropbox Folder
Selected a synced document, >Next
Required to enter encryption password
Entered password but "Finish" button never became a choice.

Is there a way to change the encryption "passphrase"? Mine is very long and complicated.

I sure would appreciate your help. I've spent days trying to make this work.

Thank you,

Mary

1. 1 Posted by Mary Pace on 27 Apr, 2022 07:02 PM

Trying to add file.

2. 2 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 27 Apr, 2022 07:21 PM

I would wipe sync and start again.

Backup first

On primary moneydance, set to don’t sync.

Shut down secondary moneydance. In finder delete the moneydance dataset file (something.moneydance)

Then delete Dropbox .moneydancesync folder.

Now on primary, run toolbox extension. Enable hacker mode. Click hacker menu button. Select force reset sync.

Restart MD

Set up sync again. Wait.

On secondary. Launch md. At the open screen, open other. Open sync copy.

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 27 Apr, 2022 07:22 PM

Also uodate to latest preview 4073 on both first.

4. 4 Posted by Mary Pace on 27 Apr, 2022 07:29 PM

Thanks for trying to help me.

I just recently installed Moneydance V2022.2 (4060). How do I update to 4073?

Thank you.

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 27 Apr, 2022 07:35 PM

I am not support staff, just a user,
    Hi Mary

Download 2022,3(4073) from https://infinitekind.com/preview and install.

Hope this helps.

6. 6 Posted by Mary Pace on 28 Apr, 2022 03:21 PM

To fun toolbox extension do I go to Extensions > Manage Extensions > Install Toolbox?

7. 7 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 28 Apr, 2022 03:28 PM

Toolbox is always fun..... But, yes, and then Extensions>Toolbox.... Buckle in tight and enjoy the ride!

8. 8 Posted by Mary Pace on 28 Apr, 2022 03:36 PM

Thank you for your quick response and humor! Hopefully I’ll have a chance to work on this today or tomorrow.

9. 9 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 28 Apr, 2022 03:40 PM

When you work out how to 'fun toolbox', do let me know! 😉

10. 10 Posted by Mary Pace on 29 Apr, 2022 10:10 PM

Hello! I did exactly what you instructed me to do, but I still can’t sync between my two computers. On the secondary, when I choose open other, I don’t get to choose a synced file. I get a Finder window.

In Dropbox, for .moneydancesync it ways “only you” can access.

Of course, your help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Mary

11. 11 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 30 Apr, 2022 05:13 AM

It’s all in Moneydance. Either at the welcome screen, click other, and open sync copy. Or within MD, file, new, open sync copy.

Pls send screenshot of the place where you are clicking to open?

12. 12 Posted by Mary Pace on 30 Apr, 2022 09:13 PM

Hello Mr Toolbox!

When I click on open other from the Welcome to Moneydance screen I get the second image. When I click on Create a new account set > Open Synced File > Dropbox Folder, I get the third image. I chose the top account set, but it is not the account set on my primary.

Do you think I should run the toolbox extension on my secondary?

Thanks again

Mary

13. 13 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 01 May, 2022 08:49 AM

This is the right command. Create a new account set > Open Synced File > Dropbox Folder

Your secondary is irrelevant, so no to toolbox on that.

Close all MDs

delete .moneydancesync in Dropbox.

Launch primary, wait a minute, restart primary.

On secondary, launch, do the open synced file procedure. You will only see one dataset.

14. 14 Posted by Mary Pace on 03 May, 2022 05:01 PM

Hello Mr Toolbox,

Sorry I didn’t respond sooner. I’ve been packing boxes to move!

Should I Still set primary to don’t sync before I close it?

Should I run toolbox extension after I delete .moneydance? If so, after selecting force reset sync should I shut down MD?

I’m not sure what you mean by “launch primary, wait a minute, restart primary”. What is the difference between launch and restart?

Thanks,

Mary

15. 15 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 03 May, 2022 05:18 PM

Should I Still set primary to don’t sync before I close it? Nope

Should I run toolbox extension after I delete .moneydance? If so, after selecting force reset sync should I shut down MD? Nope

I’m not sure what you mean by “launch primary, wait a minute, restart primary”. What is the difference between launch and restart? They are the same thing

16. 16 Posted by Mary Pace on 03 May, 2022 06:29 PM

I still see 5 data sets on my secondary.

17. 17 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 03 May, 2022 07:01 PM

Are you sure that both computers are logged into the same Dropbox account? And are you sure you’ve deleted the .moneydancesync folder? If you did that properly, then this folder will delete from both computers. You need to check that it’s deleted everywhere with all md’s closed.

18. 18 Posted by Mary Pace on 03 May, 2022 08:11 PM

With my primary, when I went to MD and did New >Open synced file I see one data set, but on the secondary I see 5. So I suspect both computers are not logged into the same Dropbox account, but I’m somewhat ignorant about Dropbox. I’m not sure how to check on Dropbox accounts. When I showed Dropbox on both computers and deleted .moneydance it disappeared on both, but I don’t know what Dropbox accounts we have or are logged into! I guess I need to find a Dropbox tutorial.

Thanks,
    Mary

19. 19 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 03 May, 2022 08:21 PM

And on the secondary you are selecting Dropbox FOLDERS? If .moneydancesync is empty I fail to see how you are seeing 5 datasets? Unless you’ve been hit by the new ‘Dropbox has moved your files thing’?

Try this. On secondary, try Shared folders and navigate to the .moneydancesync folder. You should see nothing. If nothing, try the setup steps as I’ve outlined and this time on secondary, shared folders.

20. 20 Posted by Mary Pace on 03 May, 2022 08:38 PM

I just deleted .moneydance. When I open Dropbox from dropbox.com on my secondary and primary .moneydance is not there. However, when I open MD on my secondary I see 5 datasets. And yes I am selecting Dropbox Folders.

So I’ll try what you suggested. I looked in my iCloud shared folder and there was no .moneydancesync folder. So I’ll try the setup steps on my secondary.

Thanks.

21. 21 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 03 May, 2022 08:44 PM

Ok. The /Dropbox/.moneydancesync folder is a hidden folder. You need to look on your Mac using Finder. You need to press Command + Shift + . (period) to show hidden files. Please do this on both computers (not just in Dropbox online).

22. 22 Posted by boreham on 07 May, 2022 11:10 AM

Unless you’ve been hit by the new ‘Dropbox has moved your files thing’?

This is a possibility since she is on macOS 12.3.1, but afaik shouldn't happen unless she is using an early releases beta Dropbox version.

Note that when the CloudStorage change is implemented the existing Dropbox folder is not moved. A new Dropbox folder appears at ~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox and the old one remains at ~/Dropbox. The new one is online only until changed to "make available offline".

The original .moneydanceync folder would still be in the old ~/Dropbox folder but no longer syncing with Dropbox.com.

The easy way to tell if the CloudStorage change has happened is to look in the Finder Sidebar in the "Locations" section. If Dropbox appears there it is a shortcut to the CloudStorage folder.

23. System closed this discussion on 06 Aug, 2022 11:20 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac