Moneydance 2022.3 causing Firewall issue and Data Protector issues in Norton Internet Security

mike63492

01 May, 2022 01:13 PM

I upgraded to Moneydance 2022.3 (4077) from 4060.

On launch I got several warnings that Moneydance was trying to rename, open or delete files protected by the Norton Data Protectos whic protects most standard folder such as ...\Documents\ and common file types. These attempts were blocked by Norton.

The second time I launched, I got a firewall contravention. See attached screen shots (Not all file types are shown in the protected list).

I ha gone back to 4060 and it works fine.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 01 May, 2022 10:00 PM

Hello,

It looks like Norton is blocking the program from accessing your data file, which appears to be stored in your Documents folder. I'm not sure how the settings of Norton works, but I'd make sure to give Moneydance full access to that folder if that's where you are storing your data file, otherwise you're likely going to have significant data corruption very quickly.

It also looks like Norton is blocking the program from accessing our website, where it would check for things like program updates.

I'd suggest that you have your security settings very high. You'll likely need to make exceptions like these for many programs. You'd also need to understand how to evaluate these errors warnings to decide when to make exceptions if you're having settings like preventing programs from editing things in your Documents folder. Programs like these are often set up to prevent the editing of files in everything except the folders where data is commonly saved.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by mike63492 on 02 May, 2022 08:25 AM

Hi there
    I agree this would all make perfect sense if version 4060 had the same issues or I had issues with other apps, but I don't and I have used Norton throughout the time I have used Moneydance,.

So that I can also follow this up with Norton, can you tell me if there has been a significant change in the way Moneydance access files?

There is more going on than you suggest below... Please keep this discussion open.

Thanks

Mike Wilson

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Sean Reilly on 02 May, 2022 09:42 AM

Hi Mike,

There hasn't been any change in the way that moneydance accesses files between 4060 and 4077. Is there a chance that the data file was in a different location with the earlier version? Is it also possible that you chose the "Exclude Process" option for the earlier version? I would recommend doing that for this version too, but I'll see if we can apply to Norton to get Moneydance approved as safe.

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    https://infinitekind.com

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Sean Reilly on 02 May, 2022 09:45 AM

I also see that Norton is configured to protect files in Users*\Documents so if your data file were moved to the default location (.moneydance\Documents) then that would prevent this error from happening. Moneydance data files are encrypted with a password that you provide, so it should be safe.

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly

5. 5 Posted by mike63492 on 02 May, 2022 01:43 PM

Thanks Sean
    I moved the files back to the .moneydance default folder but got the same results.

So I tried creating a new file, just to make sure I was using the real default location. I got the data protector again when Moneydance tried to rename the temp folder it created to the name I entered (Personal Finance). Renaming the folder manually allows the file to be opened, but it is empty (no accounts or categories).

I ran a Norton File Insight on Moneydance.exe and it gave it a bad rating.

I have attached the screen prints...

M

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Sean Reilly on 02 May, 2022 04:31 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for sending the screenshots. I think the best thing to do is select the "Check for New Rating" link on the File Insight screen to see if Norton needs to download new signatures that might include the new version of moneydance. If that doesn't work, then please you click the Trust Now link on that same screen? It may be that Norton is "crowd sourcing" the trust of some software and relies on people clicking that link in order to update their database of trusted software.

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly

7. 7 Posted by mike63492 on 06 May, 2022 01:39 PM

Hi there

OK, I will ask for a ne rating, but if I don't get one, there is no way I am
    trusting something that Norton say is invalid: that would be totally stupid
    of me, and would mislead others

M

Sent: 02 May 2022 18:32
    To: [email blocked]
    Subject: Re: Moneydance 2022.3 causing Firewall issue and Data Protector
    issues in Norton Internet Security [Problems #79792]

8. 8 Posted by Brian Taylor on 07 May, 2022 12:34 PM

Agree with Mike63492.
    I have performed a Windows restore, to before Moneydance update, and there are no problem's; only after the update

"Infinitekind" should ensure compatibility with all major software houses of this type (Security) before they release new software

9. 9 Posted by mike63492 on 07 May, 2022 06:04 PM

Thanks Brian and Sean and all.

It looks like Norton have now rerated version 4077 and given it a good
    rating.

I used the original install file for 4077 and reinstalled it and it now
    works with no data protector or firewall issues.

Many thanks

Mike Wilson

Sent: 07 May 2022 14:35
    To: [email blocked]
    Subject: Re: Moneydance 2022.3 causing Firewall issue and Data Protector
    issues in Norton Internet Security [Problems #79792]

10. 10 Posted by Brian Taylor on 10 May, 2022 12:12 PM

Hi Mike, Just an update. After receiving your message, I created a restore point on Windows 10, and then re-installed the Moneydance update. Moneydance has now (since the 7 May) been running without any issues. So it looks as if the problem has been resolved.
    Thank you for keeping me informed
    Brian

11. Maddy closed this discussion on 10 May, 2022 12:16 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac