File names

timmd

20 May, 2022 01:21 PM

After a decade of use, my computer contains literally hundreds of MD-related files. When MD forgets which data set I am using it gets almost impossible to find the correct file or the relevant backup.

The main problem seems to be the way that MD adds what feels like random dates to backups. For example I can be confronted by a whole page of files of the form shown below. What is going on?

Incidentally, if your captcha asks for the color of the sun, please arrange for it to accept the answer "white", as this is the answer nearest to correct!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 20 May, 2022 01:47 PM

Hi Tim,
    Thank you for contacting Moneydance support.

When Moneydance creates automatic backup files, a backup file is created each time you close your file (this is what the date refers to) until the set number exist, then each file will be updated in turn.

If these files are stored in the default location, they're accessible from Moneydance via Help --> Show Backup Folder. Going by date, you can move your oldest backups to a folder you may want to call "Archive" and move it elsewhere, if you prefer.

Also, you can amend the backup file settings, by choosing Moneydance --> Preferences, then selecting the 'Backups' tab, as outlined in this article of the Knowledge Base.

From this window, you can amend the backup location, and choose the maximum number of backups to be stored.

You could amend the backup location, so the automatic backup files are sent elsewhere. For example, you could choose an external drive, or a shared folder location like Dropbox. This will ensure your data is accessible from another system, even if you were to encounter complete computer failure.

You can also create manual backup files whenever you want, and store these files anywhere else. To create a manual backup file, choose File --> Export Backup. This will create a .moneydancearchive backup file - the same format as the auto backup files.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. System closed this discussion on 19 Aug, 2022 01:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac