Keep having to input license

Joanna Kelly

26 May, 2022 07:06 AM

Hi
I've been using Moneydance since 2018 with no problem until now. Each time I switch on my laptop and try and open MoneyDance it comes on screen as though I'm just setting it up as a new thing. Then when I manage to open up an archive copy it appears to be a trial version even though all my information is there and up to date from the last time I input stuff. Then I have to re-enter my license each time. I'm been using the same laptop the whole time. Please advise as I'm worried the whole lot might disappear at some point!
Thank you!

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 26 May, 2022 08:16 AM

I'm a fellow user.

I suspect there is a problem with your configuration file, this would give the problem you describe. To test this your would rename the existing file and allow the Moneydance to create a new one. The file is called config.dict.

If you're using a Mac, it should be located at one of these locations within your Home folder:

~/Library/Containers/Moneydance/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/config.dict
    or:

~/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/config.dict

or:

~/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/config.dict

If you have any trouble finding your Home Library folder you can open Finder and hold down the option key while selecting the Go menu and the Library folder option should occur or you can open Finder and select Go -> Go to Folder and copy and paste in the following:

~/Library

This should pull up your local Library folder.

If you're using Windows, it should be located under your login directory at:

C:\Users\(yourusername)\.moneydance\config.dict

or

C:\Documents and Settings\(yourusername)\.moneydance\config.dict

Depending on your version of Windows

If you're using Linux it should be located in your home folder at:
    ~/.moneydance/config.dict

Once you've found your config.dict file, ensure Moneydance is closed and rename the file (to something like config-org.dict, for example), then open Moneydance again and it will appear as though you've just installed Moneydance for the first time and may have to locate and open your data set again.

Now try the operation(s) you were having trouble with and see if it works as expected.

If it does you can continue using the new configuration file by while viewing your data file, choose Help --> Register Moneydance and input your license key.

If you run into any problems, you can simply close Moneydance and rename config-org.dict file back to config.dict and open Moneydance again to restore your original settings.

2. System closed this discussion on 25 Aug, 2022 08:20 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac