Possible bug with batch change of Account

K. Roth

29 May, 2022 03:40 PM

I had two accounts that originally got setup with type=Bank but I wanted to move to type=Asset. I realize it's not possible to change an existing account's type, and I followed the recommended method of 1) create new account, 2) select all transactions in old account and Batch Change the account to the new one.

If relevant, I am using 2022.3 on Windows 10 21H1, and I have synching setup via Dropbox Connection to an iPhone.

The transactions looked OK after the initial batch change. I also saw the new account and the moved transactions on my phone. But after closing and re-opening MD, the transactions were showing up under the original account instead. For one of the accounts, I had already deleted the original account. I couldn't select it from any list, but it showed up on the "Cash Flow" report with the original name.

I found a workaround -- if I created a new, temporary file and opened it, and then re-opened the original file, the transactions were back in the expected place (i.e., under the new account).

Also potentially relevant - I chose to store the moneydance "file" (folder structure) in a different local folder (on my D: drive) than the default location (under %userprofile%\.moneydance\Documents). I haven't re-tested with the moneydance file in the default location to see if it makes a difference.

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 29 May, 2022 03:56 PM

The toolbox extension can do this... Update mode. MENU: Accounts & Category Tools. Force Change Account Type..

As for the other issues, you may have a sync problem that is making (old) changes to your files. Can you post Help/Show Console..

Personally I would:
    - restore from backup - disable sync - use toolbox, advanced mode, force reset sync settings - use toolbox, force change account type - do your txn moves (or whatever) - restart MD - On iPhone, disconnect dropbox, reconnect and select the new sync relationship.

2. 2 Posted by K. Roth on 29 May, 2022 04:28 PM

Stuart - thanks for pointing out the Toolbox extension's ability to change account type. And to help clear possible sync issues. That's good to know.

Is sync known to produce corruptions for many users? I want to use the iPhone app to enter cash transactions, but not if it's likely to cause issues.

A lightly-sanitized console log is attached. But it doesn't include anything from the time when I saw the transactions in the wrong place.

I did try restoring from a backup, but it wasn't far enough back and I wasn't willing to go further once I realized I had a workaround that seemed to work. And it does seem stable at this point in time.

3. 3 Posted by K. Roth on 29 May, 2022 04:36 PM

p.s. I attempted to re-create the issue with a new test MD file, but was not successful in re-creating the problem. I did try storing the MD file in a nonstandard local folder location, but I did not setup any Plaid downloads nor file syncs. I also did re-import from my large Quicken .QIF file, so my test file had a pretty full complement of data.

So - the thought that sync is to blame seems to make sense.

4. 4 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 29 May, 2022 04:50 PM

Nothing particularly obvious in console log.

If you have had sync setup for a loooong time, it can occasionally get out of sync. Hence, recreating sync starts it afresh and can sometimes help.

5. System closed this discussion on 28 Aug, 2022 05:00 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac