View as PDF sent directly to printer

Ted

31 May, 2022 12:05 AM

Just updated to Moneydance 2022.3 (4084) from the last available download from the apple App Store. I am running a MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2017 with Mojave OS.

The following problem has occurred that I did not have in the previous version of Moneydance.

When a report is printed and in the print dialog box and the view PDF option is selected, it is sent directly to the printer. This occurs with other selections from the PDF drop down box. When trying to save as a PDF it fails with the following error message:

<html>Error: <b>An unexpected error occurred java.awt.print.PrinterException: Cannot write to file:/Users/ted/Desktop/Untitled.pdf</b></html>

I have not been able to resolve the problem so I have downloaded a Print to PDF app that bypasses the Moneydance PDF dialogs and allows me to view, save and print the PDF.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

1. 1 Posted by tonyt on 31 May, 2022 06:14 AM

Me too, I think I have reported this before, but no fix as yet I fear. I want to be able to save my .pdf.
    Cheers….

2. 2 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 31 May, 2022 06:43 AM

Odd.. Selecting save as PDF works for me in the print dialog

Is this a valid path?
    /Users/ted/Desktop/Untitled.pdf

Permissions?

3. 3 Posted by tonyt on 31 May, 2022 08:41 AM

Missed that, true! But view as PDF from the print menu sends straight to printer. I often want to see how things fit on the page, hence view as pdf. I know I could save as pdf, check it, then print, but MUCH easier ‘all in one’
    Cheers...

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Maddy on 31 May, 2022 09:03 AM

Unfortunately this is a known bug in Moneydance. There's an existing ticket in our ticketing system regarding this issue, so I've attached it to this discussion and the developers will be looking into it.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance!

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

5. 5 Posted by Ted on 31 May, 2022 02:07 PM

Thank you Stuart for suggesting the suggesting path/permission issues. I changed the save destination from the desktop to the download folder and it saved the PDF. I feel foolish for not trying that! Interesting that for years the Desktop was the default destination.

For those who are still having issues, I would suggest trying RWTS-PDFwriter for OSX. It works very well.
    https://github.com/rodyager/RWTS-PDFwriter

Hopefully the developers will overcome the view PDF problem soon.
    Thank you all for the suggestions and help.

6. System closed this discussion on 30 Aug, 2022 02:10 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac