Beep when transactions change

ian.haddow

10 Jun, 2022 02:37 PM

Hi,

At the volume I normally use my Mac at, the beep, which is actually a sort of cash register sound, can just about be heard at the other side of the house. I try to remember to to turn it down when I use Mondeydance but I usually forget.

Is there a way to control the volume within MoneyDance and if not is there a way to change the sound to something less noisy?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 10 Jun, 2022 04:38 PM

Hi Ian,
    Thank you for contacting Moneydance support.

Unfortunately, Moneydance doesn't include a volume control for this feature. So, unless you have a setting from within your Mac to turn the volume down or mute it, the only alternative is to turn it off from Preferences->General.

Sorry if I don't have better news.

Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by ian.haddow on 13 Jun, 2022 11:16 AM

Thanks for the reply, but I would thought it was a possibility to change the sound file, assuming it was in the library somewhere. Can this be done and if so what is the path to the file please?

3. 3 Posted by ian.haddow on 28 Jul, 2022 09:17 AM

Hi. Any chance of a reply to this? I would have thought it a simple matter to tell me what the file path is?

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Maddy on 28 Jul, 2022 09:40 AM

I’m sorry to keep you waiting, but I’d like to run your query past the development team who may be able to provide further information.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 28 Jul, 2022 09:50 AM

I'm a fellow user.

I believe the sound file is embedded within one of the jar files, rather than being a standalone file.

6. 6 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 28 Jul, 2022 01:14 PM

There are various sounds called by MD... The Preferences / "Beep when Transactions Changes" calls the cash_register.wav sound file

This is found within the moneydance.jar file. Within the jar file, this is located at
    /moneydance/com/moneydance/apps/md/view/gui/sounds/cash_register.wav

On a Mac you are probably snookered as if you change the Moneydance.app package containing this file, you will alter the signature and Gatekeeper will not launch the app. Unless you launch MD manually by executing via java.

I suspect that on a non-Mac device, that you could amend the jar and insert a new sound file... But I have not tested this and you do so at your own risk.

(not support, just a fellow user)

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Sean Reilly on 31 Jul, 2022 07:04 PM

I agree it is a bit loud. I edited the cash_register.wav file long ago to reduce the volume by 75% but I think it needs to go lower still. It would be nice if people could provide their own sound file, or maybe choose from a set of sounds and possible with a volume settings with it. I'll see about that, but it will probably be a lower priority than the mobile app upgrades we're focusing on now.

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    https://infinitekind.com

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Sean Reilly on 01 Aug, 2022 02:08 AM

Minor update: there is now a preview version of Moneydance 2022.5 with the volume reduced by 50%. You can download the update here:
    https://infinitekind.com/preview

Thanks for the reminder that this was still an issue!

Sean

--
    Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    https://infinitekind.com

9. 9 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 01 Aug, 2022 04:02 AM

Just a suggestion. Why not check for a (new) config.dict setting that points to a user .wav file, and if this setting is set, and if the setting points to a file that exists, then use that instead? Else, just use the internal file as default...

e.g.
    "cashregister_wav_file" = "/Users/Bob/Documents/mycashregister.wav"

?

10. System closed this discussion on 31 Oct, 2022 04:10 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac