Transactions disappeared after re-categorizing

mkemen

30 Jun, 2022 11:23 AM

I had two categories with similar names, so I decided to try and combine them. From the categories list, I selected the category and then did "Open in New Window". From there, I selected all and then did "Batch Change". I updated all the categories to the other name. That seemed to have worked there, but all of the transactions disappeared from my bank accounts. All of my balances are off now because I have a ton of missing transactions back to the beginning of the year. Seems like a bug, or perhaps I did something wrong.

I can still see the transactions when I open that category from the list. Is there any way to get them put back into the account register?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 30 Jun, 2022 11:33 AM

Hi,

We are sorry to hear about the problem you have encountered.

After selecting the category “#1” in the edit categories window, the resulting display is not simply a list of all transactions that are associated with the category “#1” but they represent the transaction register for the “#1” category.

Moneydance uses the double entry method of accounting, which means that every transaction is a link between accounts (or categories), as outlined here.

So, all transactions have two sides. For example: When you create a transaction in your “Your Current Account" and set the category to “#1” a corresponding transaction is created in the transaction register for the “#1” category and the category on that side of the transaction is set to the “Your Current Account" .
    If you are in the transaction register for the “#1” category, look at the "category" and you will see the accounts where the transaction came from. If you batch change a category here, you'll be changing the wrong side of the transaction e.g. you'll change the category from “Your Current Account" to “"#2"” and your checking account balance will change accordingly.
    In conclusion, there are two ways you can merge your “#1” category into “"#2"”.

Option 1:
    Navigate to the transaction register of the “Your Current Account". Sort the transactions by category by clicking on the category column header. This will group all the transactions with the same category together. Select all the “#1” transactions. Right click and batch change to “"#2"”. Repeat for all other bank accounts or credit cards that have made transactions using the category “#1”.

Option 2:
    Download and install the Find and Replace extension. This is available via Extensions->Manage Extensions. You can use it to search for all transactions with the category “#1” and change them to “"#2"”.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by mkemen on 30 Jun, 2022 12:18 PM

Thank you for your super fast response to my issue. This is very helpful.

So to put everything back, I suppose I would go to Category 1 register and change all categories there back to the Bank Account?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Maddy on 30 Jun, 2022 01:02 PM

Alternatively, you could restore from a backup, it might be easier!

The files with a - .moneydancearchive file extension can be restored into Moneydance by double clicking them.
    Alternatively, choose File --> Restore from Backup (or 'Import New Account Set' from the Welcome window). Then navigate to and select the backup file.

When you restore data from a backup file, a new data file will be created for use going forward. If the restored data file is in the default location, it's accessible from Moneydance via Help --> Show Documents Folder.

Any data files stored here are accessible from the program by choosing File --> Open. Any files you've created or restored will be listed here.

If you'd like to re-name the restored file, you can follow the steps in this article from the knowledge base.

It's important you close the Moneydance program fully before you make any changes.

Then change the data file name to whatever you want - just be sure to retain the .moneydance file extension at the end of the file name.

Please keep us posted on your progress, Thank you!

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

4. mkemen closed this discussion on 10 Jul, 2022 12:55 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac