Syncing

matloffm

16 Jul, 2022 02:12 AM

I use moneydance on two different systems: Linux and Mac.
I set the linux system (Fedora) to sync to dropbox to try it out. I left the mac unchanged and let it access a moneydance file residing on dropbox, not the sync file. I assumed this would work and if I wasn't satisfied with the way moneydance worked on linux, I would stop the syncing and go back to both systems using the file stored on dropbox.

When I tried to do this, it broke the mac installation. It will not open a .moneydance file in the default directory nor anywhere else. I uninstalled the mac version and reinstalled it. It opened to the Welcome screen and still would not open any moneydance files.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Marc

1. 1 Posted by sth on 16 Jul, 2022 01:00 PM

@Marc, No, this is NOT recommended and will lead to file corruption. Sharing a file does not have the safeguards of transaction IDs, file update locking, etc. There is a reason that all that code was written for reliable syncing to avoid file corruption.

Follow the knowledge base article on syncing from the links at the top of the page.

You will have a primary file on one machine and a secondary file that is opening the linked file. I would suggest using "Dropbox Folder" syncing method since the "Drop Box Connection" method will not sync if a machine is off line.

2. 2 Posted by matloffm on 16 Jul, 2022 08:21 PM

Thanks for the reply. I do understand that syncing is better than file sharing, but what I don't understand is why the change on the linux system broke the mac installation. Other than trying to share the same moneydance file, what is the connection between the two different system's moneydance implementations?

3. 3 Posted by sth on 17 Jul, 2022 02:21 AM

My guess is that MD was set to open a default file (ie the last file opened). And it kept opening the corrupted file. Even if you click on a file, it will open the default file and then open the file you double clicked.

There isn't anything other than the synced data file that is common between the two. They both have their own preferences, extensions, etc. Some preferences are specific to the data file, some are general.

Updating re-installing the same version on the Mac should not change anything. But without the errlog.txt file I don't know what was happening.

4. System closed this discussion on 16 Oct, 2022 02:30 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac