Graphical UI corruption

taser8

01 Aug, 2022 12:51 PM

I just moved Moneydance to a new computer, and I'm encountering a problem I haven't seen before:

Entering new items in the register or trying to edit existing items results in graphical corruption - it starts to display different parts of the screen over top of where I'm trying to enter data. Resizing the window doesn't help; if I switch accounts and go back it will look okay but as soon as I try to work with the data the problem reappears.

Has anyone encountered this?

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 01 Aug, 2022 01:16 PM

What version of MD?
    What Os/version?
    Which MD Theme?
    Find and post help/console output here.

2. 2 Posted by taser8 on 01 Aug, 2022 01:22 PM

MD 2022 4 (4087)
    Windows 10 Pro, new install
    Theme: Default? I've never modified anything theme-related in MD
    Console output attached

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 01 Aug, 2022 01:28 PM

We occasionally see this reported.. But I do not know why. There is nothing obvious in the console.. Can you capture a new console when / after you see the corruption and post that..?

One thing to try, increase vmoptions setting to at least:
    -Xmx2048m (or more)

Toolbox (pls install/upgrade to latest), general options, 'View Java VM Options File' option will tell you how..

See how that goes?

PS - what display settings / resolution are you using on your monitor?

4. 4 Posted by taser8 on 04 Aug, 2022 12:10 PM

I did a bit more testing. I bumped up the vmoptions to 4086 but am still encountering the issue.

However, a bit more bug tracking revealed a few interesting things:

First, it seems to be triggered by the "cleared" column - if I enter data in any other field, the problem does not occur.

Second, it only occurs when I change the "cleared" status on a new entry - that is, one that I am still creating for the first time. If I save an entry and then reopen it, I can change the status field with no issue.

I don't know if that helps isolate the issue, but it does seem pretty consistent.

Also, I'm running at 3840 x 2160 at 150% display on 4k monitors.

5. 5 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 04 Aug, 2022 12:23 PM

Just as a test, try changing your display resolution to 100%

6. 6 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 04 Aug, 2022 12:23 PM

… and. Find help/console and send that output after you see the display corruption.

7. 7 Posted by dwg on 04 Aug, 2022 12:38 PM

Another possible problem is that the version of Java that Moneydance uses is not playing nicely with the version of the Video driver installed.

It may be worthwhile to try a different video driver version. It is a bit harder to identify when the version of Java was changed in Moneydance in order to try a different version there.

8. 8 Posted by taser8 on 04 Aug, 2022 02:06 PM

Updated my drivers, no change. Tried 100%, still seeing the issue.

I'm attaching the log - the only thing I notice is that when I tiksync/out file entry seems to happen when I have an entry with the cleared field issue.

9. 9 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 04 Aug, 2022 02:24 PM

Nothing obvious in console log. Sorry, I’m out of ideas…

10. System closed this discussion on 03 Nov, 2022 02:30 PM.

11. taser8 re-opened this discussion on 24 Nov, 2022 04:39 PM

12. 10 Posted by taser8 on 24 Nov, 2022 04:39 PM

Note for Stuart Beesley and dwg: through an arduous process of service disabling-rebooting-enabling, I was able to isolate the problem:

A service called "nahimic", which is apparently an audio service bundled with Asus systems, was causing the problem. Disabling the service appears to have resolved the issue - I am no longer seeing the problematic behavior.

A web search shows that this service apparently causes a lot of problems with multiple products.

13. 11 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 24 Nov, 2022 05:06 PM

👍 This also corrupts Sweet Home 3D on Mac which is Java based (like Moneydance), so it must affect Java. Well done finding the issue....

14. 12 Posted by dwg on 24 Nov, 2022 09:39 PM

Thank you for the follow up.

As Stuart said we do occasionally see things like this reported with no apparent cause. This is something we can take note of for future reference.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• MDUI.jpg 20.1 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac