Transfer to new Mac, unable to open data file

sportbiker

02 Aug, 2022 03:31 PM

Moving from Moneydance 22.0 on El Cap to 22.4 on Monterey (Apple Silicon). Copied the data file from the old Mac's library to my new Mac's Documents folder. Opened MD on the new Mac and navigated to the folder. It shows my data file greyed out.

What do I do?

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 02 Aug, 2022 03:35 PM

It’s a bug. Double click the dataset file in finder to launch and open in MD.
    Or with MD open and the Home Screen showing, drag the dataset file onto the MD window.

Once it’s been opened, it will remember the file.

2. 2 Posted by sportbiker on 02 Aug, 2022 03:46 PM

You are my new favorite person! Thanks, worked like a charm.

The Quote Loader didn't come over so I'm assuming I have to start from scratch. I hope that's less headache-inducing than just getting the damn data file to open! :-)

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 02 Aug, 2022 03:52 PM

If you transferred the complete dataset then just re-add the QL extension and the settings should already be there/remembered.

PS - the proper way to transfer is file/export backup and then file/restore from backup.

Hopefully, Toolbox will become one of your favourite extensions too! 😉

4. 4 Posted by sportbiker on 03 Aug, 2022 01:37 AM

Exactly as you said about Quote Loader.

Only thing I challenge is the export/import thing: the Official Tome for how to move to a new computer says:

To emphasize: you should copy and move the entire Moneydance data file (or folder). Do not use any of the File --> Export options in this process.

5. 5 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 03 Aug, 2022 05:02 AM

The menu items are badly named.. There is File / Export which I agree you should not use and then there is File / Export Backup which is a completely different menu item and this is the official backup tool....

@Maddy - perhaps the KB should be updated accordingly to settle this confusion for people reading it.

6. 6 Posted by dwg on 03 Aug, 2022 06:05 AM

Technically a Moneydance backup is just a zip file of the data set so doing it via copying the entire data set or creating a backup, copying it and restoring it should have the same effect. A difference may be if you have Syncing in operation, but the provided instructions cover this by disabling syncing.

So in effect either approach should work.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Maddy on 03 Aug, 2022 10:01 AM

@Stuart

I've added a line in this article mentioning that the option that should not be used in this particular process is File --> Export and that although File->Export Backup "could be used", it should not be necessary as moving the actual data file is preferable.
    The reason being that instead of having to restore from a backup (in the new computer) the file should appear instantly in the "Welcome window" making the mechanism a little less convoluted, perhaps.

Hopefully it makes sense!

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

8. sportbiker closed this discussion on 04 Aug, 2022 04:32 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac