Deleted backup

Audrey Stewart

07 Aug, 2022 08:30 PM

I inadvertently deleted my Moneydance backup files and have nothing. Can IK provide me my last session. I am LOST. HELP!

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 07 Aug, 2022 09:11 PM

Did you use sync?
    If so, file / new / open sync copy?

2. 2 Posted by Audrey Stewart on 07 Aug, 2022 11:10 PM

Stuart,
    Thanks so much for your help. I am in a bit of a panic.
    I do use sync.
    Fortunately, my app and files are intact on my ipad. I inadvertently deleted the backup files from my Mac (and emptied the trash can.)
    To recover the files I have deleted the app off my Mac and reloaded it. I selected “Dropbox files” as my initial sync. ( I selected Dropbox years ago. Can you tell me if the Dropbox files should be in MY Dropbox?)
    In other words, If I open my Ipad and sync, shouldn’t it sync the latest version to my Dropbox? Therefore, when I reinstall Moneydance on Mac and select Dropbox files, it should select the most recent one and I should be back in business, correct?
    I have done this and now I have a drop down message that says, “Performing initial sync. This may take a while….” Unfortunately, I have years of transactions so it is a long file. There is nothing showing me it is actually doing anything.
    How do I know it is actually working?
    Thanks again,
    Audrey

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 08 Aug, 2022 04:54 AM

Help/Console will show you what it's doing...

You may be lucky and it will work... Depends when you created Sync and whether Sync is intact... I would suggest that if it looks stuck now, to restart MD and see what you have got... Again, find help/console and post the output back here...

4. 4 Posted by jeff_l on 08 Aug, 2022 06:53 AM

Also, don’t forget Time Machine on your Mac. If what you are doing via the sync route fails, you will probably find that you have backup copies of your deleted files in Time Machine going back many weeks or months.

Fellow user

5. 5 Posted by Audrey Stewart on 08 Aug, 2022 11:58 AM

I don’t have a time machine.
    I synced my IPad several times. It is current and working fine.
    My Mac MD has 2 year old info. I just want to be sure if I sync it, I don’t overwrite my IPad. Can you confirm this?

Sent from my iPhone

6. 6 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 08 Aug, 2022 12:06 PM

If you do file/New/Open Sync copy etc to connect to your sync copy, then the data should not get lost on your iPad.. Never-say-never, but it should be fine...

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac