the amount in the "reconcile" beginning statement balance doesn't match

sb

07 Aug, 2022 09:19 PM

The number in the beginning statement balance window of the reconcile window doesn't match the balance that I previously reconciled, and there weren't any changes since the reconciliation was done. I added a couple of new transactions, but that should not affect a balance prior to those transaction dates.

It would be so helpful if we could enter this balance from the bank statement and work off that instead. This seems to be a random number generator for the account balance, which is extremely frustrating.

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 07 Aug, 2022 10:09 PM

Can you upload help/console here?

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 07 Aug, 2022 10:46 PM

I'm a fellow user.

Allowing people to enter the starting balance would allow errors to remain in the account since from the Moneydance point of view you are entering a random number that does not necessarily have any relationship to the data in your Moneydance register. The best you are saying is I just want the current period transactions to be right, the past doesn't matter, however the past affects the account balance.

The Initial balance that Moneydance displays is calculated by the formula:

Initial Balance of the Account + Cleared Deposits - Cleared Payments

So if this number does not match the previous reconciled balance then something has changed in the account.

The following article discusses reconciling and if the initial balance does not match:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/register-and-transactions/reconciling

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac