Switching to a new computer.

Reed Nelson

16 Aug, 2022 08:27 PM

My old Mac Air hard drive died. I have the data from the harddrive. I was using Moneydance 2020 on the Mac Air. I don't have my key recorded, but have the Moneydance data.
I now have a Mac Air M2.

Do I installl Moneydance 2020 on the new Mac Air M2 . Is the key stored in the data?

I would like to purchase the Maneydance native code version for M2 when it is available. When is that?

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 16 Aug, 2022 10:55 PM

I'm a fellow user.

Moneydance 2020 may or may not work on the new machine. TIK do not test discontinued versions on the latest systems, and from experience we know that later versions of macOS have a tendency to break older software versions.

Keys are not stored in the data file, you could potentially have many data files and the key is really related to your use of the software not the data. Keys are stored in the file config.dict. If you do not have your license or a copy of this file to find you key from you can use the lost key field on:

https://infinitekind.com/purchase

to have a copy of your key emailed to you.

TIK do not generally discuss futures or provide timelines, we know that a Apple Silicon native version is under development and that progress is being made, but that is the extent of public knowledge.

2. 2 Posted by Reed Nelson on 16 Aug, 2022 11:23 PM

Thank you.   I was able to get my keys.   
    I am waiting for a customer support person to respond on how to proceed regarding MD 2020.   I have ten years of data that I don’t want lose.   
    Is there a customer service  phone number that I could call?
    Reed

On Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 05:55:55 PM CDT, dwg <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 16 Aug, 2022 11:32 PM

TIK are a small company based in the U.K. and the software is sold and used world wide, I'm in Australia for example.

With this situation it is just not viable to provide telephone support, hence support is provided via these forums in the main through public or private posts.

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 16 Aug, 2022 11:40 PM

There is a Knowledge Base article on moving Moneydance to a new system it may help you.

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/file-locations-and-changes/moving-to-a-new-computer

5. 5 Posted by Reed Nelson on 18 Aug, 2022 01:09 AM

Hello,
    I downloaded 2020.2 to my new Mac Air.  I get the "Getting Started with Moneydance" screen
    Then selected open other.
    The existing file: documents/moneydance/datafiles/filename.moneydance   is greyed out.  Please see attachment.

On Tuesday, August 16, 2022, 06:40:18 PM CDT, dwg <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac