Unable to access Moneydance from menu.

davier12

01 Sep, 2022 06:42 PM

I recently upgraded to MacOs 12.5.1. Since then I have been getting the attached screen when I click on the file I want to open. I eventually open it by accessing it through documents which is a pain. Can you tell me how to remedy this problem?

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. 31 Posted by sth on 08 Sep, 2022 03:01 PM

2. 32 Posted by davier12 on 08 Sep, 2022 07:32 PM

This seems to have fixed all but one file. One file “Jeff” which I opened on 9/6 can n to be opened by any means at this time. I tried opening for the main interface and it apparently does not see it. I went directly to the MD folder where I could click on it previously and open it, but now it does not. Others seem to operate normally from either the main screen or directly from the folder. Any ideas on the Jeff file?
    You don’t know how much I appreciate what you have done so far.

Dave

3. 33 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 08 Sep, 2022 07:53 PM

Same procedure... Try to open.. Find the errlog.txt file and post here.
    The open in Finder and show the contents.

4. 34 Posted by davier12 on 08 Sep, 2022 08:16 PM

This is what I get when I went to Library/containers/moneydance etc.

5. 35 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 09 Sep, 2022 05:57 AM

1. Please upload the whole errlog.txt file here as an attached txt file and not a screenshot.

2. Can you right click the ‘Jeff’ dataset and show package contents.. send SS in the contents.

6. 36 Posted by davier12 on 09 Sep, 2022 11:38 AM

I don’t know what ss means?

7. 37 Posted by davier12 on 09 Sep, 2022 11:43 AM

Err Log I hope.

8. 38 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 09 Sep, 2022 11:43 AM

ScreenShot

9. 39 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 09 Sep, 2022 11:46 AM

That errlog.txt file is for when you opened
    "/Users/davidneel/Documents/Moneydance/Neel 2022.moneydance"

You said you had a problem with opening the 'Jeff' dataset. Please upload the errlog.txt file that relates to you opening the 'Jeff' dataset

10. 40 Posted by davier12 on 09 Sep, 2022 11:49 AM

I am obviously retrieving it incorrectly. I am going to Finder, Library/Containers/—/Moneydance err.txt and then right clicking to copy file. I save to desktop and then attach to email. What am I doing wrong that it ends up screenshot?? This is a copied file.

11. 41 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 09 Sep, 2022 12:10 PM

There really can only be one of these.. Please do this..

1. Open the 'Neel 2022.moneydance' then close MD.
    2. Check the date and time of the errlog.txt file... Did it update to now?
    3. DELETE the errlog.txt file.
    4. Open the 'Jeff' dataset. What messages do you get? Send SS of any message?
    5. Is there is a new errlog.txt file? If so, send that.
  12. 42 Posted by davier12 on 09 Sep, 2022 12:26 PM

Opened and closed MD file. Deleted old err.txt file . Reopened MD err.txt showed current date and time. When I try to open Jeff in anyway nothing happens, but here is the err.txt from MD after attempting opening.

13. 43 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 09 Sep, 2022 12:52 PM

Shows nothing of any use... Can you right click the Jeff file, show package contents and send SS of what's shown in Finder..

You might need need to restore this file..

14. 44 Posted by davier12 on 09 Sep, 2022 07:31 PM

I am obviously doing something wrong. I go to Finder/documents/MD/Jeff right click and do not see show package contents. Is there another key I hold down when I right click?

Dave

15. 45 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 09 Sep, 2022 07:42 PM

Select it. CMD-I. SS and upload that.

16. 46 Posted by davier12 on 09 Sep, 2022 07:46 PM

I think this is it. I apologize for my lack of expertise.

17. 47 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 09 Sep, 2022 07:47 PM

Not attached / uploaded.

18. 48 Posted by davier12 on 09 Sep, 2022 08:05 PM

I expanded the file to see permissions and here is what I saw.

19. 49 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 09 Sep, 2022 08:06 PM

Still no picture attached.

20. 50 Posted by sth on 10 Sep, 2022 09:59 PM

We are talking about a file called "Jeff.moneydance" right. It still has the moneydance extension on the file name. If you do not see the "show package contents" then the file is NOT a bundle and not a MD file.

Open MD and then import a backup file from 9/6 of the last time you opened Jeff.moneydance.

Reimporting an archive/backup file should fix the permissions for a recreated account book.

21. 51 Posted by davier12 on 11 Sep, 2022 01:56 PM

Yes, the file is named Jeff.moneydance, I just don’t think I am using the correct key strokes to get to the proper place to display the Show Package. In any event, I gave up in frustration and opened a long ago BU copy and brought it up to speed. As an aside, I was going to try to import a BU from he 9/6 file. When I went to look there were none there. It may have been lost in all the things we have been doing.
    I just want to thank you for all the effort you and the staff have given me during this ordeal. I think there are some additional things I need to do to clean up the files. Maddy had suggested moving all the file to the MD/data/documents, so I will try that today. My concern is how will MD find the file once moved? I also think you pointed out some other issues that I need to correct.

Dave

22. 52 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 11 Sep, 2022 02:29 PM

Toolbox extension can move the dataset back to the default internal location for you. Update mode. General tools. Relocate dataset to internal location.

23. 53 Posted by davier12 on 11 Sep, 2022 04:06 PM

I have followed your instructions and used toolbox to relocate the files and they seem to work fine. I have one last question. When I travel I take a copy of my MD files with me in case I need to access them. In the past I would just go to MD/documents/file.moneydance and copy them to my thumb drive. When I returned, if I had used and updated the file I would plug the thumbdrive into my Mac Pro, delete the old file and copy the updated file back to MD/documents/file.maoneydance. Now since the files are located in an internal location, that is not as easy to do. Is the recommended method to export to backup on the thumb drive and then import from backup later when having returned?

Again, I really want to thank you for everything you have done to resolve my issue. Words can not express my gratitude.

Dave

24. 54 Posted by sth on 11 Sep, 2022 06:12 PM

I use that method when traveling as well. My files are in my documents folder but there is no difference in using the default location.
    (technically I use the rsync command line utility to copy and update the copies but effectively the same thing) I have a designated backup directory also in my Documents folder. I find it easier to maintain my files and backups using the Finder than either Toolbox or MD. Having them in the hidden Library folder structure is just annoying but part of the necessary restrictions to appear on the Apple Mac App Store.

I am glad you got the files straightened out without too much loss of data. It is a good idea to check the backups for existence AND to use a backup system such as Time Machine for local backups and other systems for off site backups.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Screen_Shot_2022-09-01_at_2.41.23_PM.png 729 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac