Unable to access Moneydance from menu.

davier12

01 Sep, 2022 06:42 PM

I recently upgraded to MacOs 12.5.1. Since then I have been getting the attached screen when I click on the file I want to open. I eventually open it by accessing it through documents which is a pain. Can you tell me how to remedy this problem?

1. 1 Posted by sth on 02 Sep, 2022 07:18 PM

Davier,
    That seems a bit odd. It is trying to find a file that is inside the Trust.moneydance bundle. Either that "key" file is missing or it is not readable/writeable by you. Go to Trust.moneydance and control click on it, and select "Show Package Contents" this should open a folder with a couple of files and a couple of folders. One of those folders should be labeled "key". Click on that and type cmd-I or select Get Info, see if you have read/write privileges to that file.

There might be more info in the err log.txt file.
    Try opening the file from the menu, when it fails, quite MD and then post the errlog.txt file here.

To find “errlog.txt”
    (Mac OS) Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/errlog.txt
    Hold the option key and use the "Go" menu in the finder to access the Library folder.
    Or open a finder window, press Command-Option-G (⌘⇧G) and paste in this path
    ~/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance

(NOT IK Support)

2. 2 Posted by davier12 on 05 Sep, 2022 04:15 PM

Sorry, this is far beyond my technical Mac knowledge. The error happens on all MD files not just Trust. I was wondering if I deleted MD and reloaded that it might clear the error?

Thanks
    Dave

3. 3 Posted by sth on 05 Sep, 2022 08:49 PM

Probably not. It seems to be a problem in the data files that it is referencing rather than the Application itself.

One possibility would be to export a backup file. Then import that backup file with will create a whole new data file with a, hopefully without that problem. You can later rename that file to remove the date/time stamp. That would make the new file all accessible to you and get rid of this error.

4. 4 Posted by davier12 on 06 Sep, 2022 04:08 PM

That did not work either. I transported to desktop renamed it and the same thing happened.

5. 5 Posted by sth on 06 Sep, 2022 04:14 PM

By "transported to desktop" you do NOT mean just copying the file but actually doing the export and re-import of data?

I think you are going to have to try the highly technical option of holding down the option key while access the "Library" in the "Go" menu. The err log file might have some clarification of why that file is not there or if it is just inaccessible.

Do you have a password on your file?

Do you have saved passwords for downloading your accounts?

6. 6 Posted by davier12 on 06 Sep, 2022 04:36 PM

No I exported to the desktop changed the name and then moved it to the Moneydance folder. Yes to both questions. Please send me the steps again about accessing the library. I highlighted the MD file, went to “GO” clicked on Library while holding option and it gave me a whole list of files, none saying MD or err.log. Beyond my technical ability, but I will try what you suggest.

Thanks

Dave

7. 7 Posted by sth on 06 Sep, 2022 04:49 PM

To find “errlog.txt”
    (Mac OS) Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/errlog.txt Hold the option key and use the "Go" menu in the finder to access the Library folder.
    Or open a finder window, press Command-Shift-G (⌘⇧G) and paste in this path

~/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance

Once you have opened the "Library" folder and you found all those sub-folders you have to follow the path to get to the folder with the err log.txt file.

So double click on Containers to open it
    Click on com.inifinitiekind.MoneydanceOSX
    click on Data
    Click on Library (again... :-)
    Click on Application Support

Click on Moneydance (and there you will see the err log.txt file.

Alternatively, in the finder, or after highlighting your MD file (doesn't matter)
    Type Command-Shift-G by holding down the command (clover?) key, the shift key and then typing the G. This will cause a little sheet to come down in the folder list with a blank text box.
    Copy this string and paste it into the text box:

That is all one string above, though it may show up as multiple lines in the web display. This will take you to the folder with the err log.txt file immediately without all the clicking above.

8. 8 Posted by davier12 on 06 Sep, 2022 09:59 PM

Assuming I was in the correct place Library/Containers/com but there is no infinite kind.MonetdanceOSX etc. I have attached a screen shot of the com folder

9. 9 Posted by sth on 07 Sep, 2022 02:20 AM

Yeah, I just checked and the folder is there but for some reason it is invisible.

Try the second method of command-shift-G and paste the following:

10. 10 Posted by sth on 07 Sep, 2022 02:23 AM

The other fix that I can think of is to remove all your passwords
    File -> Passwords....
    Un-click both boxes
    quite MD
    Open MD
    File -> Passwords
    check both boxes

You will have to reenter all your account passwords but it might clean up this one weird file that either doesn't exist or is locked.

11. 11 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 07 Sep, 2022 05:13 AM

CMD SHIFT . (That’s a dot) will show invisible folders in Finder.

12. 12 Posted by davier12 on 07 Sep, 2022 01:12 PM

Ok, I removed all passwords per instructions and that eliminated the initial problem, but gave a new one, see attached.

13. 13 Posted by sth on 07 Sep, 2022 02:32 PM

No attachment. And Stuart had a good hint as well but it doesn't work in this case. But if you look for the folder "Moneydance" in the Containers file it is there. But if changing the password status removed the initial problem is good that we are on the right track.

(@Stuart, this is one of those things where the new secure Monterey use of APFS just makes a hash out of things. The file ~/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX does not show up in the Finder. Terminal will list it. It is not hidden according to GetFileInfo. Finder and Terminal seem to have diverged.)

So the correct instructions are
    (Mac OS) Library/Containers/Moneydance/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/errlog.txt
    Hold the option key and use the "Go" menu in the finder to access the Library folder.
    Then open Containers
    Then Open "Moneydance" (this is different)
    Then continue as above.

14. 14 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 07 Sep, 2022 03:23 PM

@sth - one is an alias for the other....

The app's Info.plist file defines 'com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX' as 'Moneydance' so for manual navigation in Finder you need Moneydance, but for actual Os paths you need the former...

15. 15 Posted by sth on 07 Sep, 2022 03:32 PM

Hmm, you obviously have a deeper understanding of the Info.plist file. I don't see that definition. 'com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX' is the CFBundleIdentifier and "Moneydance" is the CFBundleName but how does that end up affecting the finder. As an alias both names should show up.

Apple seems to be taking a clean logical system and making a hash table out of it.

16. 16 Posted by davier12 on 07 Sep, 2022 04:16 PM

Ok, I finally got to the errtxt.log. I am attaching it because it means nothing to me. Maybe it will yield something to you. Awful small hope you can magnify.

Dave

17. 17 Posted by sth on 07 Sep, 2022 04:53 PM

Great. It is easier as an attached text file rather than a blurry screen shot.

There are 2 things that stand out.
    1. Is Font Initialization attempted form a non-UI Thread. Not sure about this but if you are clicking on the file from the "Welcome to MD" window shown above it should be in a UI thread. This repeats further down. This seems to be normal and I see it on my system as well. Odd.

1. The App is crashing while loading the data from your account book. It is trying to list some files while opening the account book. This is changing and array into a list and is getting an error. This may be an issue with loading sync files and try turning off syncing and see if the error goes away. If so, i would follow the directions to completely reset your sync function. I take it, this is the primary file and not one of the secondary files?

The file you are opening from the menu is Documents/Moneydance/Neel 2022.moneydance which is the one you can open by clicking on directly?

18. 18 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 07 Sep, 2022 05:01 PM

That's a horrible error, occurring here:

public List<String> listFiles(String folderPath) {
          File f = new File(getSafeFolder(), folderPath);
          if (f.exists() && f.isDirectory())
            return Arrays.asList(f.list(new FilenameFilter() {
                    public boolean accept(File dir, String name) {
                      return !(new File(dir, name)).isDirectory();
                    }
                  })); 
          return new ArrayList<>();
        }

But the issue seems different to your original issue? How exactly did you remove all passwords - as you said above? It should be impossible to do this if you cannot open the dataset?

This latest issue is implying to me a problem with your dataset/safe/* files and possibly your dataset/key file.

Can you find your dataset, right click and show package contents.. What's listed there and also within ./safe/* ? Perhaps show finder screenshots.

I personally think you should be restoring...

@sth - dunno - but it clearly does make an alias....

19. 19 Posted by sth on 07 Sep, 2022 05:15 PM

I think that davier12 can open a MD file by double clicking but not from the MD Welcome page Menu which he prefers.

Dave, to do what Stuart asked, is to go to your data file in Documents/Moneydance and right click (or control click) on the MD file. Select "Show Package Contents" should open a new finder window of what is inside the MD file. If you are attaching these screen shots to an email, please select "actual size" for the email picture option.

As Stuart said, this is showing a corrupted file and maybe you should look for your last good backup.

20. 20 Posted by davier12 on 07 Sep, 2022 06:07 PM

OK, here is the screen shot of the file. WHat’s funny is this just started happening when I upgraded to Montery 12.5.1 and it happens to all of the files.

21. 21 Posted by davier12 on 07 Sep, 2022 06:28 PM

Just another tidbit of info. I went back to an old file in July and it opened properly, yet when I closed MD and reopened it and clicked on the July file, the original error started again

22. 22 Posted by sth on 07 Sep, 2022 07:19 PM

that is weird. I haven't had this issue and I updated awhile ago. Also no screenshot.

23. 23 Posted by davier12 on 07 Sep, 2022 07:44 PM

Can you see this shot?

24. 24 Posted by sth on 07 Sep, 2022 08:14 PM

Yes, I can see the shot. However you seem to be providing as little data as possible. How many bytes is the key file? What was the update date of that file?

Also click on the key file and use File->Get Info to see what the permissions are on the key file. Can you read and/or write that file?

You have some old export files for some reason.

If you can open up the file by double clicking then I would do so. I would install the "Toolbox" extension that Stuart kindly provides and use it to check the consistency of your data file and orphan file lists etc.

25. 25 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 07 Sep, 2022 09:53 PM

Not sure that Toolbox can help if you cannot open the dataset...!

I would try closing MD, and then renaming config.dict and then try to reopen the file..

Failing that, restore....

26. 26 Posted by davier12 on 07 Sep, 2022 09:56 PM

This is what I get when I click on key file ":userpass=1&key=E908910B5A79672DC6E04CE61D41D474282AAD5D578FD0C36B4A7663C51A0140”
    This is what I get when I “Get Info” by clicking on key which is 81 bytes and it was updated today.

I downloaded Toolbox and ran Dataset File Analysis and is attached below:

27. 27 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 07 Sep, 2022 10:04 PM

I'm really confused.. How are you running Toolbox if you cannot open a file...? Or are some files opening and other not?

This one seems to be opening fine:
    "/Users/davidneel/Desktop/Neel 2022.moneydance"

So, which file contains the key file contents you mentioned above (which look fine)?

NOTE: you have these errors highlighted by Toolbox:

ERROR ACCESSING DIRECTORY:
    ---------------------------
     @@ /Users/davidneel/Desktop
     @@ /Users/davidneel/Documents/Moneydance
     @@ /Users/davidneel/Desktop

So you need to sort this out...!

So, I imagine, you only have a problem with this file:
    "/Users/davidneel/Documents/Moneydance/Trust.moneydance" and its key file?

So, can you repeat the "Finder" steps for this Trust file and also the contents of the key file?

28. 28 Posted by davier12 on 07 Sep, 2022 10:48 PM

I can open the file only if I select “open other” and then go to the MD folder and select the file. It will open and apparently work fine that way.If I try to open it (them) from the opening screen is whenI have the problem. This problem applies to all my MD files since th eMacOs upgrade.

29. 29 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 08 Sep, 2022 04:08 AM

Ok, well I would like to see you open the trust file, confirm that looks ok and send the help/console log output after that, just to confirm you can open the trust file another way. Then if that opens ok…:

1. I personally think you have a permissions problem. You need to use Finder and ensure that you as the user (davidneel) have the proper read/write permissions, and are the owner, for your core folders and contents. Ie Documents, Desktop, including all files and sub folders. I’m not going to step by step guide this… but the rough outline is here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchlp1203/mac

1. I think you need to rename your config.dict file (with MD closed) to config.save and then see if you can open your files.

Try 2 first, then look at 1

(Not support, just a fellow user)

30. 30 Posted by sth on 08 Sep, 2022 02:58 PM

I think I see the problem..... MacOS Security.

ERROR ACCESSING DIRECTORY:

@@ /Users/davidneel/Desktop @@ /Users/davidneel/Documents/Moneydance @@ /Users/davidneel/Desktop

MD needs to be able to access /Users/davidneel/Documents/Moneydance
    Open system preferences, Select Security & privacy.
    Select the "Privacy" tab
    On the left hand side scroll down and select "Files and Folders"
    On the right hand side scroll down until you see the Moneydance app (icon and name)
    There will be a check box for "Documents Folder"
    Click the lock in the lower left and authorize as an admin
    Click the check box to allow access to the Documents Folder"

When first run the system should have popped up a message that MD was looking to access the documents folder and needed permission.

It should look something like the attached:

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac