Fifth (5th) decimal place

tetrault

06 Sep, 2022 09:14 PM

I have a stock that I recently sold. However, it still appears in my Portfolio Summary because it has 0.00001 shares. I never use that many decimal points, so I have no idea where that low share amount comes from. Any ideas on how to get rid of that tiny share fragment?

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 07 Sep, 2022 05:10 AM

Personally I would extract that account to a csv file, load into excel, and double check the txns for that stock. Extension extract-data option extract investment transactions.

I’ve never seen MD get the share balance wrong (you do mean the qty and not the balance?).

You could always do a txn and a sell 0.00001 units

2. 2 Posted by sth on 07 Sep, 2022 02:38 PM

This can be a "rounding error" for buying and selling multiple transactions of 4 digits accuracy. If you are repeatedly buying a selling shares in multiples of 0.0001 you can end up accumulating a faction of a share 0.000005 which will round to 0.00001.

The issue is that computers use binary and can NOT EXACTLY represent 0.1 or 0.0001. There is an approximation which is usually good to 7 digits (single precision) or 17 digits (double precision). My guess is that MD (ie Java) is using single precision calculations and that the accumulated error has now rounded to 0.00001 shares. Simply SellXfer those shares to a reconciliation category or sell it for $0.00.

3. 3 Posted by tetrault on 07 Sep, 2022 02:49 PM

I use four digits at most. If I could sell 0.00001 shares, I wouldn't have posted the question. I wish Money dance would let you "disappear" anything less than 0.01 shares.

4. 4 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 10 Sep, 2022 10:36 AM

Well…. Bitcoin for example needs lots of dpc

There really shouldn’t be any rounding issue as the units are not held in decimal point format. They are held internally in whole numbers. Eg a buy of 0.01 units with a currency/security set to 2dpc is held as 1. A buy of 1 would be 100.

So, what are your dpc settings? Run toolbox extension, security tools menu, list decimal places.

My bet is that you have them set to more than you need/want for the stock.

I also still bet you have a buy/sell txn using a dpc > than the dpc you need.

Toolbox can edit the dpc for you but be warned if you have trades using dpc > then what you want you will lose those remainders. Not too bad if using average cost basis. Tricky if ui Laing lot matching.

?

5. 5 Posted by tetrault on 10 Sep, 2022 04:42 PM

You're right: I accidentally set this up with 5 decimal places. I can't use your solution because the newly installed textbox extension does not load.

My idea is to create a new stock, enter the 19 register entries, and hope to avoid that stupid 0.00001 share whan I sell all shares. If it works, I'll eliminate the original stock. Do you think that will work?
    Greg T

6. 6 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 10 Sep, 2022 07:20 PM

Er… can you say a bit more about ‘toolbox’ not loading? Is there a message? Can you try to run it and go to help/console and post the output of that here (upload as a txt file)? Thx.

7. 7 Posted by tetrault on 10 Sep, 2022 08:05 PM

The menu bar Extensions has Toolbox in it's list of extensions. When I select Toolbox, nothing happens. The other two Toolbox items also do not work. I  reinstalled Toolbox without success. Other Extensions work.

Greg T

8. 8 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 10 Sep, 2022 08:09 PM

So I’m guessing you are on an older version of MD. Toolbox requires newer versions, especially for the edit decimal places feature.

9. 9 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 10 Sep, 2022 08:13 PM

10. 10 Posted by tetrault on 10 Sep, 2022 09:56 PM

2020.2 build 1929.
    I won't pay $50 to upgrade a program I wish to dump. Unfortunately, Moneydance's QIF export file doesn't work. Thousands of errors when imported into several personal finance manager apps. Also, Moneydance can't read its own exported file. I've gotten no help with this. Apparently, Moneydance support staff and almost all users see no need for a functional full export process.
    Greg T

11. 11 Posted by sth on 11 Sep, 2022 12:57 AM

Sorry to have wasted your time. You have a few misstatements
    1. Upgrades are half price and very reasonable.
    2. Upgrades to the 2021 version are fee
    3. QIF export works. The output is a valid QIF file as much as there is a standard. The problem is that there is no QIF standard so incompatibliites are of course rampant
    4. MD reads its own exported file, I have done this many times. Using Export Backup. QIF files are incomplete since they do not support all the features that MD has. This is just reality and no one can help that. Stuart has written a very helpful reminder export that adds to the features.
    5. You are complaining about issues with a 2 year old version and possibly many of them are fixed.
    6. Yes if you set the account with a different number of decimal places, and refuse to update the program, the best is to export that one account, delete the account and then set up a new account with the correct number of decimal places and re-import the data.
    You might have to hand edit the QIF file to get things right.

12. 12 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 11 Sep, 2022 04:37 AM

Odd. I have exported to QIF and then reimported my whole dataset from QIF into MD and it worked 100%.

There are various file/export options

Toolbox won’t work for you unless you upgrade.

To your question. Yes you can create a new security. Then go down the register and simply assign the new security to the existing txns.

13. 13 Posted by derekkent23 on 11 Sep, 2022 08:23 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Greg

As sth suggests if you purchased Moneydance 2019 or 2020 from this site you can upgrade to 2022 at a 50% discount or to 2021 for free.

Toolbox will install and run on 2021. You can then follow Stuarts suggestions.

Also, I have used Moneydance Export to create a QIF file many times for testing and re-imported them into a new Moneydance data set without errors cleanly excluding aspects that QIF files don’t support.

Hope this helps.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac