restore Moneydance backup data

Bob Shormann

16 Sep, 2022 01:15 AM

My iMac operating system had to be restored and now I can't seem to recover the backup file from Time Machine which is backed up to a Seagate file. I downloaded the Moneydance App from the Apple ap store.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 16 Sep, 2022 09:23 AM

Hi Bob,

We are sorry to hear about the problem you have encountered.

If you have downloaded Moneydance from the Mac App Store, you should be running version 2022.3 . Is this correct?

Usually you should be able to restore your Moneydance data from Time Machine with the following steps:

1) Start Moneydance
    2) Select the Help->Show Documents Folder menu, which will display the data folder in the Finder
    3) Enter Time Machine and select the date for which you'd like to restore your data and click the Restore button

That will restore your Moneydance data folder (or a specific data set, if you've selected one) to the state it was in at the time the backup was made.

If this is not the case, can you send us a screenshot of the files displayed in your external hard drive?
    You can read instructions for taking a screenshot here:
    https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/
    To add it as an attachment to this discussion, please click on "Browse".

Also, were you syncing your data file with another device, before the OS update, perhaps?

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Bob Shormann on 16 Sep, 2022 02:28 PM

Thanks for your help. Tried to enter time machine and it looks like when the system was corrupted it also affected the seagate backup drive. I have a second backup in the safe deposit box and will retrieve it later and see what happens. Will be a month old, but better than starting over from scratch. Will let you know what happens later.
    Thanks again,
    Bob Shormann

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 16 Sep, 2022 08:42 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Bob

For the future you should consider using Moneydance’s internal backup and set the backup location to a cloud server such as iCloud. Then its easy once you have fixed your computer to use Moneydance’s RESTORE FROM BACKUP. Don’t use external backup systems.

Hope this helps.

4. 4 Posted by Bob Shormann on 17 Sep, 2022 12:30 AM

The back up file is also corrupted so I just need to erase what data is in the accounts but keep the account descriptions and start over. What is best way to handle?
    Thanks

5. 5 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 17 Sep, 2022 05:49 AM

If you really want to zap/empty your dataset but keep the basic structures then try toolbox extension. Advanced menu. Clone dataset. It clones the dataset, keeps the structures, and zaps data. It’s safe to use as it creates a new dataset. Your original stays intact. Let me know if you use it?

6. 6 Posted by derekkent23 on 17 Sep, 2022 07:43 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Bob

For the future.
    When using Moneydance backup you can set the number of backups moneydance keeps so if the latest backup is corrupted just work your way back in time through the listed backups until you find a good one.
    See https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/backups-and-exporting/backups

Hope this helps.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac