jerky scrolling with trackpad

arlo

19 Sep, 2022 07:32 PM

Scrolling by clicking and dragging a scroll bar thumb works fine, but if I scroll any list by two-fingered dragging on my Mac trackpad, the list jumps erratically up and down, making it hard to read the content and find what I'm looking for in the list. This is most noticeable when dragging slowly. I see it in the main transactions list, in the split transaction popup list and in the expense and income lists in the Reconcile window, for example. I have the latest version 2022.5 (4091) and macOS 12.5.1, but I've been seeing this problem for years.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 20 Sep, 2022 03:22 PM

Hi Arlo,
    Thank you for contacting Moneydance support.

To improve the sensitivity of the Scroll of the mouse you might need to turn off inertia scrolling. You can find this in Accessibility - Pointer Control - Mouse Options. If you still notice a delay when clicking on categories, you should start typing the category name and use the auto-fill instead. This is much quicker.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by arlo on 21 Sep, 2022 12:33 AM

Turning off inertia scrolling in the macOS settings does improve the scrolling in Moneydance, but it's not worth losing that capability in every other Mac app where it works well.

I should add that the problem happens not just when I use the inertia (a quick swipe and let it fly). In fact it is most disruptive when I am scrolling slowly and not releasing the trackpad, when stepping through a list to look for an item. It's almost impossible to read the transactions in that situation. I can send a screen capture if you're not seeing this.

Also, typing a category name and using auto-fill in the category list would be great, but that selects the wrong category 80% of the time. It seems unpredictable, but I haven't taken the time to look closely and see if there's a pattern to the behavior. That could be a separate help ticket.

In any case, this issue applies to any list, including the main account register and the Reconcile window, not just scrolling through a category list.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Maddy on 21 Sep, 2022 09:53 AM

Have you tried using a different "Theme" from "Preferences" to verify if the same behavior occurs?

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by arlo on 21 Sep, 2022 08:11 PM

I just tried a couple other themes and the problem was the same. I've never used anything but the Default theme.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac