Reorder items within a split transaction

arlo

19 Sep, 2022 07:54 PM

I have several types of split transactions that I enter on a repeated basis (e.g., payroll from an employer every two weeks). It's quickest to enter these by typing in part of the description and then letting MoneyDance create default values based on the last transaction. Then I have to open the split and update the values for this new transaction.

The problem is that the split items appear in the order I originally created them, but that usually doesn't match the order they appear on the document I'm copying the values from (e.g., a pay stub). I would love the ability to drag the split items into a new order to match the source document; then presumably the next time I create a transaction, it would follow that most recent ordering.

I could work around this by creating a new split transaction from scratch, but these change fairly often and then I'd have to enter them from scratch pretty often.

The payroll transaction in particular has about a dozen split items and they change fairly frequently. I have other types of transactions with about a half dozen split items.

1. 1 Posted by arlo on 19 Sep, 2022 07:55 PM

Sorry, this should have been in the Suggestions category and I don't see a way to change that now.

2. 2 Posted by -Kevin N. on 19 Sep, 2022 09:04 PM

Hi arlo,

When I was still gainfully employed, I created a 'Reminder' for my paycheck entry with the order of the splits matching the order in which they were laid out on my paystub.

It's a one and done set up of the Reminder.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

3. 3 Posted by arlo on 19 Sep, 2022 09:11 PM

I'm not familiar with the Reminder function. Does that let you rearrange the order of the split items after it's created? The pay stub from one job is always changing as new types of taxes and benefits are added. I also use splits to manage other things where I often wish I could reorder the items within the split.

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 19 Sep, 2022 09:33 PM

A reminder will not facilitate the order of transactions being rearranged.

5. 5 Posted by sth on 20 Sep, 2022 11:11 PM

But a reminder will remember the order of those splits when it triggers every two weeks for a payroll. Those should be consistent. If you enter the splits and set it up to remind every two weeks, you can see it show up in the reminders and when you click on it the splits will be in the order that you set up the reminder.

If you need to reorder the splits every time you enter that payroll, then that is just not something MD is set up to do.

6. 6 Posted by arlo on 21 Sep, 2022 12:17 AM

It sounds like that wouldn't offer any additional benefit compared to the way I'm doing now, entering the description text and then pressing Tab to auto-fill the transaction with the last-used values.

I don't have to reorder the items every time, but often enough to make the feature request.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac