Mortgage not showing under income/expense reports

bvanmarr

22 Sep, 2022 03:54 PM

I am very new to these types of apps and have no finance background. I am however not seeing my mortgage loan payments or my personal loan payments show up in the income and expense reports. Is this normal or what can be done to have a accurate picture of all of my expenses compared to my income?

I have both of these accounts setup as a "loan" account in MoneyDance

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 22 Sep, 2022 10:05 PM

I'm a fellow user.

Technically loan payments are not expenses as such, yes they are a cash flow and you may think of them as an expense as you are "paying" them but what they are is a transfer between and asset and a liability, you are reducing the value of an asset you have (Bank account) and using this to decrease the liability you have (Loan account).

2. 2 Posted by bvanmarr on 23 Sep, 2022 01:53 AM

Hey dwg, thanks for responding. This does make sense however how can I receive an actual representation of my income vs what spent as a whole in a month including the liability accounts. I may be wrong in this though as I mentioned I have 0 background in finances just want to get my personal finances in order. It just looks weird to me when I look at the report and I see my income is significantly higher then my expenses since it's not showing those "transfers" to the loans.

If I should be thinking of this in a different light I'm open to learning the correct way.

Thanks

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 23 Sep, 2022 02:49 AM

The income and expense reports are about the categories that the funds are in.

Perhaps the cash flow reports may be of more use to you as that is what you sound like you are interested in i.e where money is coming from and where it is going to.

4. 4 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 23 Sep, 2022 05:55 AM

Some reports have an option to include/exclude transfers. This option may (or may not) help…

5. 5 Posted by bvanmarr on 26 Sep, 2022 10:18 PM

I see the option to include/exclude transfers thanks Stuart this helps and also the Cashflow also helps. Thanks all.

6. bvanmarr closed this discussion on 26 Sep, 2022 10:19 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac