Long time loading and backing up MD files to/from file disk over Wi-Fi

mfeldman

30 Sep, 2022 08:23 PM

I've used MD with success for many years. Currently running 2017.7.1 under Catalina on 2017 Macbook Plus and 2018 Mini.

I keep my critical files on an external hard drive, and do an incremental backup each night to a second external drive. Usually these drives are mounted on a second Mini, in a different room, which I use as a server, connected via Wi-Fi to the other Macs. the accounts.moneydance file is about 30mb. In launching and quitting MD, if the file disk is connected directed to the Mac I'm working on, these operations take several seconds to complete. But if the file disk is connected to the server, launching MD takes over a minute and quitting takes as long as 3 minutes (including the MD backup operation). No other app I'm using takes so long to read and write files to/from my server. Any advice?

Thank you!
Michael Feldman
Oakland, California
[email blocked]

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 30 Sep, 2022 11:20 PM

Moneydance is not designed to read and write its data files across a network. It is not recommended and can be problematic.

It used to be slow in writing its backup files over a network but some effort was put into minimizing the time I do not recall the time frame these improvements were made in, but it will always be slower than writing to a locally connected drive.

2. 2 Posted by mfeldman on 01 Oct, 2022 12:07 AM

I don't recall having this problem with pre-2017 versions. Could it be
    attributed to Apple's changed file ststem in Catalina? My wife and I do our
    work in adjacent rooms in a flat with the server in a 3rd room. We do avoid
    conflicts by never running MD at the same time, but we really do need to
    share the files. All our finance is based on it. The slow launch/quit is
    irritating but not fatal. Thanks for your analysis and prompt response!

3. 3 Posted by mfeldman on 01 Oct, 2022 12:29 AM

Could MD launch by making a local copy of the network files then copying
    them back before quitting? Perhaps one 40mb copy followed by local
    transactions would be faster all around than doing all the transactions
    over the network?
    Mike

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 01 Oct, 2022 01:02 AM

Moneydance's file structure changed in 2015 and has been further developed since.

I suggest you do not try to reinvent the wheel. Moneydance has an inbuilt solution that allows for shared data and also allows you to simultaneously use the data.

This is what Moneydance syncing is designed and intended to do, you can use your server as the Moneydance shared location. See the article in the Knowledge base:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/syncing-and-sharing-data/syncing-with-other-computers

and look at using the shared folder option with a file share from your server.

5. 5 Posted by mfeldman on 01 Oct, 2022 02:21 AM

Thank you very much! That is an option I did not know about!
    I will definitely try it.
    Thanks again.
    Mike

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac