MoneyDance Crashing on 2014 MacMini Monterey

amarr_letter

29 Mar, 2023 09:39 PM

We emailed about a year ago concerning the following setup:

I bought MoneyDance through FastSpring on 12/23/20 and installed it on my main work computer, a 2015 MacBook Pro (Mojave—now Monterey).

------

Since last year, I have added a new 2014 MacMini and subtracted the 2012 MacMini from my computers.

I want to run MoneyDance on both computers: they are backed up/synced on Dropbox.

The problem is that MoneyDance continually crashes the 2014 MacMini (16 GB RAM / 500 GB HD, 2 core 3GHz processor).

Thank goodness it still runs on my 2015 MacBook Pro!

Both computers have 16 GB RAM and 500GB HD and are running Monterey as the OS. The MacMini has 2 cores while the MacBook Pro has 4 cores.

MoneyDance works fine on the MacBook Pro which has the same OS—Monterey.

I took the MacMini into the Apple store and they did a complete restore of the OS (Monterey) but MoneyDance still crashes on the 2014 MacMini.

I ran the activity monitor and it seems to really spike the CPU usage when it crashes. (See attached files: the activity monitor shows the spike that even opening MoneyDance causes in the CPU load, while the MoneyDance crash report that I sent to Apple and copied into a txt document here should help you see what happened)

Moneydance ran fine on the old (now retired) 2012 MacMini—(4 core i7 server, 16 GB 1TB fusion drive but it crashes on the 2014 MacMini. It runs fine on the 2015 MacBook Pro.

What is happening?

I don't want to mess with the version of MD in case it causes me to lose everything.

Is there a chance that my current version of MD needs to be reinstalled?

1. 1 Posted by dtd on 30 Mar, 2023 01:54 AM

just a user - I think the main item not in your message is -
    what version of Moneydance are you running?

You say"I bought MoneyDance through FastSpring on 12/23/20" - so version 2021? Or older?

You ask what is happening - newer versions of Mac OS freely break old versions of software. So maybe you are getting too new on Mac OS and too old on Moneydance, but without complete info on that, hard to say.

And if that isn't the problem, we can THEN search for other reasons.

2. 2 Posted by amarr_letter on 30 Mar, 2023 08:34 PM

Thanks for your input, but the same version (2021, I think) runs fine on the 2015 that has the same OS on it—Monterey.

I don't want to change the version because I know it works on one computer and I have to have access to my accounting program.

I can see that the program causes it to crash because it spikes the CPU usage on the Activity monitor. So, it may be the MacMini itself although Apple has done a complete diagnosis and reinstall of Monterey. It may be that the MacMini has only a Dual core processor, while the MacBook Pro has a Quad Core processor.

3. amarr_letter closed this discussion on 30 Mar, 2023 08:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac