Changing Sync File Location

Simon

02 Nov, 2023 06:22 PM

I share a Moneydance sync file with my wife so we can access the household accounts from our own laptops. The version is 2019.3. Sync works fine on Dropbox but that's all we use it for so I'd like to move the file to iCloud and save money on Dropbox subs. When I open File > Syncing, the pop-up doesn't seem to have any means of changing the destination folder. Is this because of the version, or is there another place where I can change the destination?
Thanks,
Simon

1. 1 Posted by Simon on 02 Nov, 2023 06:52 PM

Further to my previous query, I found that I could change the sync method on my wife's computer, perhaps because I originally installed Moneydance on her machine first. However, though I can change the destination for the sync file on her machine, I still can't on mine.

2. 2 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 02 Nov, 2023 07:07 PM

There is no iCloud sync in 2019. You need to be on the latest version. You also all need to use the same iCloud account on all computers.

The process is disable sync on all. Then on the master switch to iCloud sync. Then on each other device/computer follow the File/New/Open Sync Copy/iCloud procedure.

3. 3 Posted by Simon on 02 Nov, 2023 07:19 PM

Dear Stuart, Very many thanks! You say we need to be on the same iCloud account. Is it possible instead for the sync file to be in a shared file in my wife's iCloud drive which I then access, as a sharer? I wasn't aware that iCloud accounts could be shared since they are linked to one's individual Apple ID. Simon

4. 4 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 02 Nov, 2023 07:30 PM

In theory yes, but it doesn’t work and is not supported. I did manage it as a test, but it’s a fudge and I wouldn’t try.

5. 5 Posted by Simon Dormandy on 02 Nov, 2023 07:32 PM

OK - thanks again! Simon

On 2 Nov 2023, at 19:30, Stuart Beesley (Mr Toolbox) <[email blocked]> wrote:

6. 6 Posted by dwg on 02 Nov, 2023 08:58 PM

For information the free Dropbox account is generally quite sufficient for Moneydance use and many people here use that option.

7. 7 Posted by Simon Dormandy on 02 Nov, 2023 11:21 PM

Thanks for your excellent and prompt help. 

Simon

Sent from my phone

On 2 Nov 2023, at 20:58, dwg <[email blocked]> wrote:

pre { width: 92%; margin: 10px 2%; padding: 5px 2%; background: rgb(239, 239, 239); border: 1px solid rgb(214, 214, 214); } blockquote { margin-left: 0px; padding-left: 1em; border-left-width: 5px; border-left-style: solid; border-left-color: rgb(204, 204, 204); }

// Please reply above this line
    ==================================================

For information the free Dropbox account is generally quite sufficient for Moneydance use and many people here use that option.

On Thu, Nov 02 at 12:32 PM PDT, Simon Dormandy wrote:

OK - thanks again! Simon

On 2 Nov 2023, at 19:30, Stuart Beesley (Mr Toolbox) <[email blocked]> wrote:

Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: Changing Sync File Location.

Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

8. System closed this discussion on 01 Feb, 2024 11:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac