Category Status

netr@cer

24 Jan, 2024 03:23 PM

So I came across something odd. I was doing some housecleaning around categories. I was in Tools : Categories (which brings up the Edit Categories window. I then right clicked a Category and selected Open in New Window.

It shows all my transactions, but oddly, some transactions are marked as Cleared, some Uncleared, and some as Reconciling. What I'm confused about is that the other side of the transactions are in fact fully cleared.

The closest pattern I can come up with is

• a very high percentage of transactions that pre-date my switch from Quicken to MoneyDance are 'Cleared'. With the amount of cleanup I needed to perform migrating, the gap to 100% in transactions could very well be because of the adjustments I needed to make.
  • a very low percentage (close enough to be ZERO, but I haven't checked every category) after conversion date are Uncleared.
  • The only explanation I have for those in "Reconciling" status is that these weren't fully cleared when I converted.

But I do ask, why when you view the transactions by category, are they not inheriting the status of the transaction?
Why did cleared transactions that came across during the conversion get flagged as cleared in the Category View?
And I guess most basically - Is this intentional?

Thanks as always

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 24 Jan, 2024 03:36 PM

The 'other side' of a Txn does NOT inherit the reconciled status... It's easy to understand if you consider transfers between bank accounts... Ie. each side of a txn references a different bank account. You would want to reconcile those differently.

Yup, this means that categories typically do not get 'reconciled'... but hey, so what? does it matter?

I expect the ones that are reconciled came via OFX/QIF import...

2. 2 Posted by netr@cer on 25 Jan, 2024 03:54 PM

Agreed you certainly don't want the other side of an account to account transfer to inherit status. But even though MD treats categories like accounts, they aren't really an account.

It doesn't really matter, but viewing registers by category is a great convenient feature that I used to have to run reports for. And for folks that like to keep their finances and transactions ultra tidy, seeing inconsistent data can be a little irritating.

Now I just have to keep myself from spending time needlessly reconciling transactions in the category ledger view :D

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 25 Jan, 2024 08:46 PM

I would go the other way.

Categories really are accounts, Moneydance just differentiates them to suit personal finance usage.

4. System closed this discussion on 25 Apr, 2024 08:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac