Problems syncing files

duncan

02 Apr, 2024 01:06 PM

We have been using Moneydance since 2013 and are currently using the latest version of the software. We have a MacBook Air and 2 Windows machines and the Moneydance files are shared on QNAP NAS storage. Everything has been co-existing pretty well all this time and only seems to be a problem now. I read on your website about issues with OSX Sonoma which is on the Mac I use for Moneydance. It seems bit much to have to use Dropbox to synchronise everything when we've got a pretty good network ( and pay £100 a year for the privilege). Any ideas how to get around this, maybe the answer is to use Windows machines all round for Moneydance, although I'm not sure I trust Microsoft either

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 02 Apr, 2024 01:35 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi duncan

I am not a Mac user. I have 3 Windows computers plus a forth running Linux Feren OS. All running 2023.3(5064). I use a free Dropbox account and the Moneydance sync method Dropbox Folder. I have been using Dropbox since 2017 when Moneydance introduced it internal sync engine, without any real issues,

As you say Apply change something relating to Moneydance Syncing and it no longer works reliable using iCloud Drive. It does not look like its something the Moneydance developer can fix, at least so far. So yes the advice is to use Dropbox. As for Home severs that’s something Moneydance do not support. A number of users have reported data corruption, so it’s at your own risk.

Dropbox has a free account with added advantage you can also sync to mobile devices such as phones.

Hope this helps.

2. 2 Posted by duncan on 02 Apr, 2024 01:46 PM

Thank you Derek. I'd kind of got to that conclusion too

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Maddy on 02 Apr, 2024 01:54 PM

Hi Duncan,

I can see you’ve received a reply from one of our knowledgeable Moneydance customers. To add to this useful information I thought it's worth mentioning that you can find more information about syncing with other devices in these articles:

"Syncing with Other Computers" here

"Syncing with the Mobile App" here

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by duncan on 02 Apr, 2024 03:43 PM

Maddy, thanks for coming back to me. We need to clear all of the Moneydance data on the server and start from a 'clean sheet' using dropbox or if we set up the syncing with dropbox will the files on the NAS just be ignored?

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Maddy on 02 Apr, 2024 03:55 PM

Generally, prior to setting up sync you should ensure that the file you wish to sync is stored in the default location - on the machine where you set up sync - this is the primary computer.
    In this way the syncing process will work as expected.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

6. 6 Posted by derekkent23 on 02 Apr, 2024 04:06 PM

Hi duncan

Make sure on your primary computer FILE - SYNCING is set to DON'T SYNC.
    Assuming your Data Set on your primary computer is on its hard drive in the default location Moneydance HELP – SHOW DOCUMENTS FOLDER then no problem. If not you should move a good copy of the Data Set with the extension .moneydance to that location. Open it in Moneydance and check it is OK. Then you can start the syncing process on your primary computer setting sync to Dropbox Folder after installing a free copy of Dropbox client so you can the same Dropbox folder on both your computers hard drives. Having done that any data on your NAS will be ignored.

Hope this helps.

7. 7 Posted by duncan on 03 Apr, 2024 02:07 PM

Maddy, We're trying to set up Dropbox Connection on Mac and Windows PC and are having no success, dropbox wants a code typed in to Moneydance and there is no way it can be copied and pasted in to the required field. It doesn't seem to even accept the code keyed in long-hand and dropbox keeps telling us that this is an unsupported file type (could it be because it is a Moneydance Archive file) Help

Duncan

8. 8 Posted by derekkent23 on 03 Apr, 2024 03:12 PM

Hi duncan

Within Moneydance on Windows to copy use Ctrl c and to paste use Ctrl v
    Better still make sure you have Dropbox Client installed on your computers and use the Moneydance Sync Metod Dropbox Folder. No coping and Pasting and syncing is usually faster.

Hope this helps.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

23 Apr, 2024 05:54 PM
23 Apr, 2024 05:49 PM
23 Apr, 2024 05:42 PM