Batch date change changes date but moves original date to tax date

markaevans

03 Apr, 2024 01:09 AM

When I made a batch date change (right click, "Batch change", select "Date) to a register transaction, the old date gets moved to the Tax Date and the new date gets put into place.

I don't really want a "tax date". Is this a bug or is there some way to make a batch change to the date without the original date moving to the Tax Date?

1. 1 Posted by dtd on 03 Apr, 2024 01:26 AM

Interesting. Most of my dates are correct, so I've never changed dates with batch change (if one is wrong I just change the date).

So, if nothing else a verify from me.

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 03 Apr, 2024 02:10 AM

I can understand what is occurring and why.

When a transaction is initially entered if you do not explicitly set a tax date then the Tax Date is taken to be the same as the transactions date and is entered as such and it does not display.

After initial entry the two dates are independent, but the does not display state remains when the dates are the same.

If you then change the transaction date, it changes but the Tax date has not changed so it displays with the date it has recorded in the transaction. There is no option in Batch change to change the tax date at the same time, nor should it just change it since there is no way for the function to know if the date should be the same or different.

3. 3 Posted by markaevans on 03 Apr, 2024 04:03 AM

Perhaps there could also be a "batch change" tax date. Or a check box on the batch change date to include the tax date. Or "batch change date" could do the most obvious -- changing the date.

I have a script that enters about 7 transactions and uses the current date. If I am a day late, then I go back and change the dates of those transactions. It would be nice if Batch Change, Date, would simply change the entered date. Or perhaps we can globally disable the tax date. I don't use it. (Not sure what its use case is.)

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 03 Apr, 2024 04:18 AM

The usage case is for payments or receipts that occur in a different tax period to when they are accountable, in other words a pre or post transaction.

A couple simple examples is it can be used for provisional tax payments or for when you may a tax payment in the following financial year.

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 03 Apr, 2024 04:24 AM

FWIW I have also made a suggestion where it could be used in Investment accounts with securities that have been moved between accounts to give more long term performance information.

6. 6 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 03 Apr, 2024 08:31 AM

Have you turned off tax dates in settings/preferences?

7. 7 Posted by markaevans on 03 Apr, 2024 04:30 PM

Stuart -- indeed I have turned off tax dates. I tested with and without tax dates set. It would make sense if this batch date change ignored the tax date if it were unselected in preferences. Thx.

8. 8 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 04 Apr, 2024 07:44 AM

FYI. I pointed this out to the developer and he said….

“thanks for pointing that out! For now I've changed the batch-change-date to also change the tax date if it was non-zero and the same as the regular date.”

So at least now, for most people, especially if you’re not using the TD, then the batch change date will work better. (Note the TD is always invisible when it matches the date and when use TDs is off).

9. 9 Posted by markaevans on 04 Apr, 2024 04:08 PM

Thanks Stuart and "developer" for the receptivity to a change/fix. I look forward to the next update.

10. markaevans closed this discussion on 04 Apr, 2024 04:08 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

23 Apr, 2024 06:12 PM
23 Apr, 2024 06:08 PM
23 Apr, 2024 06:03 PM