Routine maintenance of moneydance files... reocommendations?

anndupuis

26 Sep, 2022 07:16 PM

I'd like to avoid the types of problems I've encountered with Moneydance this year... (account balances now out of balance with the statements despite all transactions cleared)I -- 'm pretty sure my mistake was to accidentally import a month's worth of downloaded transactions for a specific account, possibly more than one, into the wrong account in moneydance)....and I think that better maintenance of my data both within and outside of Moneydance) would help.

I would love to see some guidance for best practices for reducing risk of problems (e.g. like the account balances not matching statement balances due to whatever user-error-caused thing I did to mess up my Moneydance file. ALSO best backup practices (if only I had reset the # of backups to keep to allow more than the default 5... cleaning up and restoring my data might have been a lot easier. At least I know HOW to change the # of backups kept... and where to find them).

Also, the data in my file goes back to 2009... I don't need to keep that data in my CURRENT moneydance file. What are best practices for trimming older transactions to keep the file sizes smaller (and potentially reduce the likelihood of corrupted data).

And, finally, when trying to recover from a mistake, if it seems best to kind of "start over," is there a way to export JUST the recent transactions I want to keep (e.g. everything on my statements from December 2020 through 2021) with correct balances?) if I want to start a new, "fresh" moneydance file? I especially don't want to have to re-educate Moneydance in the CONFIRM side of things (which common transactions go with which accounts and categories).

In the short term, any advice as to how best to recover and move forward would be appreciated. I'm wondering if I should simply start a new moneydance file with ending balances from 2020 in completely fresh accounts, and re-load all the transactions, go through all the confirming and entering all the necessary SPLITS information.... (ugh....) <sigh>

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 03 Oct, 2022 06:28 AM

One comment. You can use toolbox extension, advanced mode, shrink dataset to reduce your dataset size. This does not remove any data.

Always ensure backups are on, set the number to a high number. Ensure you know where they are. Always backup the backup folder, and/or backup to a cloud folder.

You can’t really delete old txns. The data itself is tiny.

Using backups and restoring from backup after a problem is the best procedure. NOTE: when restoring you choose to either retain sync settings, or not. If you retain, then more recent txns will resync again (possibly reproducing the data issue. If you don’t retain, then you have to set up sync again.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac