Shortcut for Backup a file

tonyt

13 Dec, 2020 12:15 PM

Hi
Unless I have missed it, is there a shortcut to backup rather than going to the drop down each time?
Cheers...

1. 1 Posted by tonyt on 13 Dec, 2020 05:55 PM

Tried adding one on my Mac using keyboard shortcuts (app specific) in system preferences, but it doesn't work!

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 13 Dec, 2020 07:45 PM

I'm a fellow user.

There is not a direct keyboard short cut, I do not see it is an often enough used activity to warrant it.

Of course you can use the keyboard to access it: <ALT> F (<Option> F on Mac) to open the file menu, down arrow until you highlight the option, then press enter.

3. 3 Posted by tonyt on 13 Dec, 2020 08:49 PM

Thanks but have to disagree. I have always said that only one backup per day kept (updated) is not right as if there is a data or entry problem and a lot of work has been done during the day, the only option is to go back to a safe earlier days backup and hope all the paper work used for the current day is still available.
    That is why I like export as it gives time stamped files for the same day. If only the main quit option kept the last xxx backups all time stamped, no problem.
    I know I will be / am, probably in a minority, but I have never seen the sense in only the latest updated backup per day being kept, but thanks for you keyboard help.

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 13 Dec, 2020 08:55 PM

A user created an extension that automatically renames each backup produced on exit so that you can have multiple backups per day.

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/suggestions/11524-improvements-to-backups#comment_44751981

5. 5 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 13 Dec, 2020 08:56 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

I agree with you. Why not log a suggestion / feature request?

6. 6 Posted by tonyt on 14 Dec, 2020 06:40 AM

Do you know if the extension works with MD 2021?

7. 7 Posted by dwg on 14 Dec, 2020 07:23 AM

I just tried it and it looks like it might not work any more. Perhaps a result of a Java change.

8. 8 Posted by tonyt on 14 Dec, 2020 10:36 AM

Shame, maybe whitedavidp could do a re write, would be much appreciated!
    Thanks for trying.
    Cheers...

9. 9 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 14 Dec, 2020 12:21 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

I tried to look at the source code last month to update this, but as far as I can tell, it's not available in the file (even decompiled)..... I do think they should just build an 'auto-backup' every [x] minutes option (to a unique name) inside Moneydance. I guess a java extension would be possible, but much better for MD to build. Perhaps log this as a suggestion..?

10. 10 Posted by tonyt on 14 Dec, 2020 12:39 PM

Yes please and thanks!

11. System closed this discussion on 15 Mar, 2021 12:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac