Add a DO NOT ASK ME AGAIN button to startup

Sean

15 Jan, 2021 12:50 AM

Hi Guys,

can you please add a DO NOT ASK ME AGAIN button to the startup of MD. Specifically when it shows a msgbox saying it appears my file is on a shared drive...

It's not! It's on my C: drive in my Dropbox on a folder called My Documents\MONEY.

My choice, you're annoying... :)

Many thanks and best regards
Seán

1. 1 Posted by tonyt on 15 Jan, 2021 06:36 AM

+1
    Can I vote again?

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Maddy on 15 Jan, 2021 07:55 AM

Thanks for the suggestion for improving Moneydance! I've filed a ticket in our ticketing system with your suggestion, so the developers will be looking into it.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance!

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 15 Jan, 2021 08:29 AM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER's Avatar

NOTE - I am NOT from support and I am just a fellow user......

I understand the reason for this check is that storing your dataset in Dropbox can cause irreparable damage to your dataset, hence the warning...

It's much more preferable to store your data outside of Dropbox and a) use Moneydance's excellent syncing capability, or b) save your backups to the dropbox folder instead.

However, if you are determined to do this, and accept the responsibility as completely your own risk, then I believe you can suppress the warning yourself.

You need to create a (dummy) file with the following name within the root folder of your dataset:
    suppress_file_in_dropbox_restriction.txt

To find your dataset folder, within Moneydance, Help>Show Documents Folder
    On windows you will then need to double click the dataset folder
    On Mac you will need to right click the dataset file package and show package contents.

The file needs to be dropped in the location where you can also see the file called key and the subfolder called safe - see attachment

Again, I am not from support, storing in Dropbox can damage your dataset and this is entirely at your own risk.......

4. 4 Posted by derekkent23 on 15 Jan, 2021 08:33 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Sean

Maybe I am not reading your post correctly, but is you are saying your data set “yourdatasetname.moneydance” folder is located in another folder within the Dropbox folder on your C: drive, something along the lines of C:\Users\username\Dropbox\My Documents\MONEY
    then as far as Moneydance is concerned this is a shared drive, hence the warning.

If you are locating your data set anywhere in the Dropbox folder on your hard drive then due to the way Moneydance reads/save small transaction files there is a danger your data set could become corrupted.

BE WARNED.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Maddy on 15 Jan, 2021 08:43 AM

@Seán and @tonyt

As Stuart and Derek are correctly suggesting, because of the way that Dropbox (and any other shared file system) works, it is possible and even likely that storing your data file there could cause corruption in your file - this is the reason the "warning" message pops up.
    We've had customers who have stored their data file in dropbox (or google drive, MS OneDrive, iCloud, etc) who have lost data when the shared folder behaved in a way different than a normal non-synced folder. Systems such as Dropbox, iCloud, etc can sometimes remove the files from your computer, which, especially if Moneydance is running at the time, causes chaos because Moneydance expects a file that it writes to storage to still be there if it tries to read it again later.

We definitely understand the desire to have your data stored in Dropbox in order to have access to it everywhere and have safely-in-the-cloud copies. However,we would recommend doing two things instead:
    1) setting your automatic backup folder (in the Backups tab of the Moneydance preferences window) to a folder that is synced with Dropbox

2) Enabling syncing using the File->Syncing menu in Moneydance, even if you aren't syncing between computers or mobile devices. Doing those two things will give you historical in-the-cloud backups, as well as an additional incrementally-synced copy of your data.
    Both copies of your data will be fully encrypted and are not at risk of the same corruption.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions or need any assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

6. 6 Posted by CanSaver on 11 Feb, 2021 09:48 PM

Thanks for this thread. I'd put my data file in my dropbox folder to back it up, but have now moved it. I've set up the syncing as suggested. Should I see a folder under my dropbox directory for the syncing? I don't see anything now, but perhaps that is because I've just set it up and nothing has been sync'd yet?

7. 7 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 11 Feb, 2021 09:52 PM

Look for a hidden folder in Dropbox. I think it’s called .moneydancesync

8. 8 Posted by dwg on 11 Feb, 2021 10:02 PM

I'm a fellow user.

Its a hidden folder.

The syncing data should never be considered to be a backup, it just doesn't satisfy the criteria. By its nature synced data is like a continuous copy operation, so if something goes wrong the problem is replicated almost straight away.

The same thinking applies to placing your data files in dropbox although the update rate is likely to be slower.

In short the above only provides limited protection in that it can only guard against certain types of failures, at best, other types of failures it just propagates.

A true backup is a point in time copy of your data and this is what the backup options in Moneydance can create, automatically on exit, or an on demand backup.

With either of these you can direct them to write to your Dropbox folder, they are written in such a way that the dropbox process will not corrupt them.

9. 9 Posted by CanSaver on 11 Feb, 2021 10:35 PM

I'm using a PC and display my hidden files/folders but I don't see anything. I wonder if I have syncing turned on correctly. When I bring up the sync settings dialog, I've selected "Dropbox folder" and I've entered a passphrase. I can only click the cancel button. The OK button gives me the warning "ding" to say I can't do that, nor is the dialog dismissed. I can only cancel out of the settings...hence me wondering if syncing is on. I was doing this on the advice of Maddy in item #5 above.

With Quicken I always kept my data file in my dropbox folder to back it up, in addition to saving my backups in the cloud. My intention was to replicate this where my data file is automatically backed up in the cloud, as well as periodic snapshot backups.

10. 10 Posted by Sean McPoland on 11 Feb, 2021 10:40 PM

You'll probably find your password/passphrase is not standard, has an
    invalid character...

Letters and numbers only I believe...

11. 11 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 11 Feb, 2021 10:41 PM

Ah. There is a bug where the folder doesn’t get created and sync doesn’t turn on. The Toolbox extension can fix this assuming you are running MD2021 preview build 3034.

Advanced mode. I think the button appears for you to click if the condition is detected.

https://yogi1967.github.io/MoneydancePythonScripts/

So. If it does detect and fix the condition then you need to attempt the sync setup again after the fix.

12. 12 Posted by CanSaver on 11 Feb, 2021 10:50 PM

I just downloaded and installed MD today and thought I had build 2006. Help about says Version: 2021 (2006). Does that mean build 2006? And I need build 3034? Or do I just need to change my passphrase for no special characters? ...hmmm I'm not able to even change my passphrase, so it seems. There is no way to turn this off and reset it without this extension for a version I don't have :(

13. 13 Posted by dwg on 11 Feb, 2021 10:56 PM

Yes you have build 2006. A number of problems were found early on with this build that highlighted that in most cases it would be better to run a later preview build. There is no history of preview builds kept so it means the latest is the only available one, which can be sourced from:

https://infinitekind.com/preview

14. 14 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 11 Feb, 2021 11:00 PM

(as dwg said... ;-> ). Ps it’s not beta. It’s a bug fixed version... but you need this to be able to run Python extensions.

15. 15 Posted by derekkent23 on 12 Feb, 2021 08:22 AM

I am not support staff just a use.
    Hi CanSaver

The others are correct, there is a bug in 2021.

It still exists in 2021.1(3034), but build 3034 fixes other issues so first update all computers from https://infinitekind.com/preview

This bug affects users who have not used Moneydance syncing before or who for some reason have had to delete the Moneydance sync folder in Dropbox. It only affects the sync method Dropbox Folder.

To Fix.
    1. Set all computers to Don’t Sync.
    2. In Dropbox create a folder called “.moneydancesync” using File Explorer, no quotes but with the period at start.
    3. Restart syncing process in the normal way.
    4. Primary computer FILE – SYNCING. .... Wait to Dropbox icon states up to date.
    5. All secondary computers FILE – NEW – OPEN SYNCED FILE ....

Hope this helps.

16. 16 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 12 Feb, 2021 12:02 PM

Hi @CanSaver - so where are we at now?

You have MD2021 - build 3034.... Great....

Download the signed version of the toolbox here:
    https://infinitekind.com/app/md/extensions/toolbox.mxt

To install, drag the .mxt file onto the Moneydance sidebar - or Extensions>Manage extensions>add from file....

Once installed, Extensions>Toolbox

Then Toolbox Options>Advanced mode and select the option
    'FIX: Create Dropbox Sync Folder'

Let me know if ok?

(not support, just a fellow user)

17. 17 Posted by CanSaver on 12 Feb, 2021 06:05 PM

I just tried the instructions posted by derekkent23 to simply create a folder called “.moneydancesync”. The OK button now works. I see a file in my .moneydancesync folder, so I assume all is well. I'm not sure if your tool does more, Stuart...perhaps it just automates the creation of the .moneydancesync folder? But I think I'm good on this now.

I do have a question about extensions in general. When I installed MD, there were 15 or so extensions shown in the app as available, but for you tools, Stuart, I needed to Add from file. It appears that your tools have been developed in conjunction with and/or signed by MD. Why are they only available via the Add process vs being built in?

18. 18 Posted by Sean McPoland on 12 Feb, 2021 06:40 PM

Lol...

It's amazing how my original thread has been hijacked and a resolution to
    my particular issue hasn't yet been resolved.

I'm also amazed that work arounds are suggested rather than fixing this,
    rather important, issue.

I remember earlier this year when updates were made rapidly because of
    screw-ups with fonts...

Why can't this issue actually be fixed rather than work rounds produced...?

19. 19 Posted by CanSaver on 12 Feb, 2021 06:55 PM

Sean, my understanding is that folders on your C: drive under the dropbox folder *are* shared folders. You are sharing them with dropbox who may in turn be sharing them with other devices. Some have written that in certain circumstances dropbox can delete files in your dropbox folder on your C: drive and this could cause corruption of MD data. If this is truly the case, it may be a CYA thing to continue to show the message so in the event that your data becomes corrupted, they can say "we told you not to do this".

20. 20 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 12 Feb, 2021 07:17 PM

Hi Sean - I gave you a 'fix' for your issue... in post 3... The way to prevent this message... IK will never do anything else as they don't want you saving your dataset in Dropbox.. You asked for a way to suppress the message, and I have told you how...

My Toolbox extension can also do this for you too...:

https://yogi1967.github.io/MoneydancePythonScripts/

(not support, just a fellow user)

21. 21 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 12 Feb, 2021 07:18 PM

@CanSaver... There is a time delay between writing extensions, getting them signed, and then put into the internal extension list by IK... I am hopeful this last step will happen soon. and no my script just automates the fix that you have done manually.. Some users are confident enough to do this themselves....

22. 22 Posted by Sean McPoland on 12 Feb, 2021 07:25 PM

Thanks CanSaver,

I've been doing this for over 10 years, in fact since 2008 when I first
    registered MoneyDance.

The only time I've had any corruption was upgrading from one version to
    another. Nothing to do with shared folders or the like...lesson here -
    always backup before doing an upgrade... :)

The fact is I still want the option of where to store my files, and I also
    want the option to clear the message.

It's an interesting situation where people seem to blame dropbox, but can't
    actually fix the issue. Shouldn't that be the real goal. Fix the problem
    of files? There shouldn't be *any *corruption, on *any *file system...

@Stuart - Sorry - I completely missed that post for some reason, thanks for
    that implementing now :)

Will have a look at the toolbox...

23. 23 Posted by dwg on 12 Feb, 2021 08:17 PM

I'm a fellow user.

Withe Moneydance 2017 and newer the way Moneydance reads and writes data has totally changed. The changes have been made to support the syncing of data by Moneydance between systems.

Not unreasonable Moneydance expects it is the only application to be reading and writing this data. Dropbox reads and writes data independently without any cor-ordination with other software - it is somewhat like a continuous copy application. While this generally works well enough with just copying files into Dropbox, files that are open and being written to by their application may not fare so well.

We have seen some very strange things happening when Moneyance files are placed in Dropbox things like deleted transactions suddenly reappearing.

It is of course up to you where you place your files, but it is also up to you to accept responsibility for what you do. Moneydance is not designed to have it files in Dropbox it is not compatible and it is not suppose to be, hence the message.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac