Program Startup

rkmt

01 Mar, 2021 03:21 PM

I use Moneydance with Dropbox sync, and so presumably because of this, when I double click to start the desktop program it takes six or seven seconds of waiting before the summary page appears. I sometimes wonder because of this wait time, if I have actually properly double clicked. My suggestion would be for a splash screen to appear while this waiting time is in progress upon starting the program, something like the splash screens that appear when ending the program for syncing and backup. This could be perhaps be enabled/disabled in preferences if not wanted.

Using V 20121.1 (3039) on Windows 10 20H2

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 01 Mar, 2021 03:40 PM

Perhaps post your console log?

One thought. If you are using Dropbox connection, try switching to Dropbox folders.

(Not support, just a fellow user)

2. 2 Posted by rkmt on 01 Mar, 2021 04:52 PM

Hi Stuart and thanks for getting back!

I've attached (what I think is) my console log taken from 'Help/Console' in the program. I'm not really expert on Dropbox, so perhaps if you have a moment you could explain what Dropbox folders is and how it is set up! When I open Dropbox there is a folder named .moneydancesync which contains a couple of files in fact, and this is where the syncing presumably takes place.

I should have mentioned in my first post I use the quote loader extension which on first daily program open, updates some security and currency prices. This no doubt also uses some loading time.

Thanks again,
    Richard.

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 01 Mar, 2021 06:28 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Richard.

It looks like you have a number of Extensions installed, if you don’t use them I recommend you uninstall them, for example initialized extension ratios takes 1.277 seconds in your log.

Initialized extension Quote Loader only take 0.026 seconds.

It does not look like all the console log was posted.
    The best way is to start Moneydance and once open in the Console window use COPY TO CLIPBOARD and then paste into Notepad and post that saved text file.

Hope this helps.

4. 4 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 01 Mar, 2021 06:37 PM

A few things...

• Look in File> Syncing. What does it say for sync method?

As a test, remove all extensions for now, and also turn off Wifi before you start MD.. See what happens?

NOTE: you have these warnings in the log. These are where you have txns attached to the parent 'root' account rather than a normal account... You probably need a fix for these, but this is not the speed reason. Do you do imports? Do you recognise them?

warning: transaction is assigned to root account: SplitTxn: val=18000; amt=-18000; desc=RYAN RK ELECTRICAL; stat= ; cat=RTHOMAS 2020; tags=[(samt:18000)(split_pair:0)(acctid:f298a902-1e17-4467-8180-b507f3f17b3e)(obj_type:)(id:cdbd4718-42d0-4514-ab64-00d901d5e1e6)(pamt:-18000)(split_calc:Y)(desc:RYAN RK ELECTRICAL)]; ]  
    warning: transaction is assigned to root account: SplitTxn: val=12000; amt=-12000; desc=RYAN RK ELECTRICAL; stat= ; cat=RTHOMAS 2020; tags=[(samt:12000)(split_pair:0)(acctid:f298a902-1e17-4467-8180-b507f3f17b3e)(obj_type:)(id:2f423b43-ebcb-4512-8095-3db308eeb4c0)(pamt:-12000)(split_calc:Y)(tags:)(desc:RYAN RK ELECTRICAL)]; ]

(not support, just a fellow user)

5. 5 Posted by rkmt on 01 Mar, 2021 07:43 PM

Thanks derekkent23 and Stuart Beesley for your helpful replies.
    I will remove unused extensions and see how that helps.. My Dropbox sync is Dropbox Connection, I think I will have to read up on the alternative 'Dropbox Folder' choice and see if that is the better option. I didn't even realise it was there as an option!
    I did notice myself those error warnings regarding a root account, which referred to a recent category I had created and had not properly assigned, now fixed :)
    Otherwise all is very well with Moneydance, I import data from my bank accounts using the account/online option and that always works fine.

Thanks again!

6. 6 Posted by dwg on 01 Mar, 2021 08:05 PM

I'm a fellow user.

Dropbox connection is likely to consume the most time out of all the syncing options.

This method is using the Dropbox API to compare the contents of your local folder with those on the Dropbox server to check to see if there are updates that need to be copied and applied. It take time for the API to be executed plus the speed of the Dropbox server and the network between you and it all come into play.

7. 7 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 01 Mar, 2021 08:10 PM

Easy to understand.
    - Dropbox connection says... go to the internet and do everything via the (slow) internet. - Dropbox folders, uses your Dropbox installed locally and interacts with your (fast) local files and let’s Dropbox handle the actual internet sync.

Just install Dropbox. Sign in. Check it’s working. Wait until everything has downloaded. Then change the MD option to folders.

(Not support, just a fellow user)

8. 8 Posted by rkmt on 01 Mar, 2021 09:13 PM

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions which have all helped.

Changing to the Dropbox Folder option has made all the difference, and now the Summary page appears after a couple of seconds, and likewise the shutdown of the program is also way faster. I don't quite know how I never spotted that option before, but I didn't!

So good to get such speedy and helpful responses from more knowledgeable fellow users, and it's very much appreciated.
    Richard.

9. Maddy closed this discussion on 02 Mar, 2021 09:15 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac