Reminder frequency options

v+ik

11 May, 2021 06:12 AM

So having just moved 20 years and 5 months of data from Quicken to Moneydance, I'm starting to transfer reminders.

Delightfully, Moneydance's Daily Reminder supports 30 and 90 and 360 days reminders, all of which had to be approximated in Quicken, but are used for some billing cycles.

Less delightfully, the Monthly Reminder options do not include "2nd Wednesday" or "4th Thursday" or "last Tuesday" or any similar options which are used for various financial cycles also (one example is rather popular: Social Security is 2nd Wednesday for many people).

Strangely, the Weekly option has a comment "...of the month" at the bottom. This was not at all obvious why for the default "every..." option, but dropping down that selection shows options for "week of the month" which I would have expected to (but didn't) find under Monthly, as noted above. So it seems the option is aivailable after all. It isn't necessary to have all the options in the same place as Quicken, of course, but it is a bit strange to have options for monthly reminders in the weekly category.

But there are two related options that are neither in Quicken nor Moneydance, but would be nice to have.

The first is an annual option... but maybe it would fit better in the weekly option in Moneydance. A payment that is due 4 times a year, on the 2nd Monday in August, the first Monday in October, the 1st Monday in January, and the 1st Monday in March, The amount is the same for the last 3 payments, but the first payment may be up to 3 cents more. Quicken doesn't support "first Monday" for annual repetitions... and neither does Moneydance.

I could envision replacing the comment "...of the month" with an option "of these months" which would then have a list of the twelve months that could be selected. That would handle the 3 identical payments in the list above. The August payment would have to be a separate reminder. In Quicken, this could be done only approximately, by having (and editing) 4 separate annual reminders, changing both the date and the amount of each one. That seems to be the only way to do it in Moneydance, as well, at present.

Before I figured out the way Moneydance handled "Second Wednesday" monthly reminders, I would have suggested instead having annual reminders have multiple entries for such irregular (but annually repeating) dates. Instead of annual having a single first/last date, it could have a list... but would need to be enhanced to handle "First Monday", etc.

Someone else pointed out that although "daily" can be used to skip multiple years, that such doesn't account for leap years, so it would be nice to have "Annually" options look more like "Daily" options: "repeat every __ years."

1. 1 Posted by v+ik on 11 May, 2021 06:14 AM

Oh, and I forgot to mention the 13-week (same as 91 days) option used for some billing cycles.

2. 2 Posted by v+ik on 12 May, 2021 03:08 AM

Oh, I just found a transaction that wants to repeat every 15 months... How to do it? How to do it?

The closest I can see is to repeat every 3 months, and be annoyed 4 irrelevant times during each cycle.

Another alternative is to implement a "one time" reminder, and try to remember to do that again when it hits, for 15 months later.

Neither of these are particularly satisfactory.

Curious what happens to reminders after their last (or only) date? Do they continue in the database, or are the dropped to save space?

3. 3 Posted by jeff_l on 12 May, 2021 05:14 AM

To set a reminder for 15 months, I would just create a Daily Reminder & set it to repeat every 456 Days. Set it to Auto commit say 30 day before scheduled.

It may not occur on the exact date it is due, but it will occur within a few days either way of the correct date.

I’ve found the reminder function in MD to be much better than alternative software I’ve played with.

Fellow user

4. 4 Posted by v+ik on 12 May, 2021 05:18 AM

365 / 12 * 15 = 456. I see. Yes, that approximates it pretty well, but I like exact, when I can.

5. 5 Posted by v+ik on 12 May, 2021 05:22 AM

And Quicken does have an "every N months" option, for user-selectable N, for comparing to the alternative software.

6. System closed this discussion on 11 Aug, 2021 05:30 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac