In the register, is there the ability to go to a specific date?

adoland

01 Jan, 2022 02:31 AM

Almost every time I open MoneyDance I wish for the ability to search to a specific date in the register, or if not found to land on the nearest older or newer date, whichever is good. This was Ctrl / G in Quicken and I dearly miss it. As an example, when reconciling I may want to got to the register and search for an item. At the conclusion of that search I am dumped at the beginning of the register which may be years away from the month I am reconciling and I'd like to get back to that month. A hot key combination would be ideal to bring up the date search the being only necessary to input dd/mm/yy and hit enter. If I have missed this my apologies and would someone enlighten me? Many thanks for reading, Al

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 02 Jan, 2022 11:09 PM

Hello,

There are a few shortcuts to jump to today's date, or the first or last date in a month or year: https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/general/keyboard-shortcuts-in...

But I don't think there's a function to jump to a specific date as you describe.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by adoland on 03 Jan, 2022 02:38 AM

Ethan, thanks for the heads up, but those don't even come close. Once I'm dumped to the oldest date in the register, I'm stuck. There may be 10 years and thousands of transactions in that register and I would like to go somewhere not even close to the beginning or end. I would like to nominate a Go To Date function as a program enhancement. Thanks, Al

3. 3 Posted by Glen on 04 Jan, 2022 10:30 PM

Rather than (or in addition to) a "jump to date" function, what would be useful for me is a "return the world to a specific date in the past" function. Show my financial state of affairs as of xx/xx/19xx.

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 05 Jan, 2022 12:03 AM

I believe that the intention is that if you want to find your position at a specific date you would use a report to provide that information.

5. 5 Posted by adoland on 05 Jan, 2022 01:14 AM

dwg - I'm not sure if you are replying to Glen or me or both. A report might work, but nothing beats the power and speed of a hot key combination that takes you to a specific date or the closest thereto. When you're are doing research or a reconciliation I think convenience and speed are needed. Thanks for the thought, Al

6. 6 Posted by dwg on 05 Jan, 2022 01:34 AM

My response was to Glen.

Going to a specific date or nearest thereto in the register Is I think a more difficult challenge.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Maddy on 05 Jan, 2022 10:06 AM

Hi All,
    Although this may not be exactly what you are asking for, it might help achieving the goal. If you select Custom from the header tab, you can enter a date as far back as you wish and your register will display transactions starting from that specific date.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

8. 8 Posted by adoland on 05 Jan, 2022 04:37 PM

Maddy, indeed using a date in Custom would be very helpful. My error in not noticing that before. If I am reconciling a quarterly statement starting four months back and search for an amount - after the search is cleared the register goes all the way back in time, which could be ten years in my case. By using Custom the register puts me in the month or close to it for the reconcilement.

By the way, is there a page on your site where enhancements or bugs, etc. can be entered by a user?

Thanks muchly for your suggestion, Al

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Maddy on 05 Jan, 2022 05:02 PM

I'm very pleased to hear this workaround seems to suit you, Al!

In term of reporting a bug or requesting a feature enhancement, you can simply create a support request here describing the matter in as much detail as possible and the support team will create a ticket.

When there is an existing ticket in our system for a specific issue. The ticket # is attached to the discussion. By posting in such discussion your interest in the ticket is registered. This is equivalent to voting for it. Finally we will post on that particular thread if and when there are further developments on the topic.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

10. 10 Posted by adoland on 05 Jan, 2022 05:23 PM

Maddy, thank you, I have done as you advised. Al

11. 11 Posted by Glen on 05 Jan, 2022 09:07 PM

Custom dates are available for some account types (e.g. Bank) but not Investment accounts where back reconciling share quantity and worth can be a challenge.

Rather than a date range restriction, perhaps a more useful facility is to make specific transactions "invisible." I'd use this most often when I want to see the effect of rolling up multiple transactions into one, or vice versa. I don't want to delete the potential duplicates for fear of losing data, but it would be nice to be able to confirm that the alternative presentation is correct by ignoring them. Of course, this would also acheive the objective of "going back in time" by ignoring everything after a specific date, or ignoring everything outside a range of dates.

12. 12 Posted by -Kevin N. on 05 Jan, 2022 10:48 PM

Just tossing this out there...

The 'Search' field allows for date searches, but you do need to enter the precise date.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

13. 13 Posted by adoland on 06 Jan, 2022 02:06 AM

Kevin, I thought of that, but the Search field brings up a filtered set of transactions. My purpose is to go to a specific spot in the register so that I can scroll back and forth by date to review the transactions. Thanks for the suggestion, Al

14. 14 Posted by -Kevin N. on 06 Jan, 2022 03:03 AM

Hi adoland,

Just to clarify, the 'Search' field will return results across all accounts when used on the Summary Page.
    Search results will be restricted to a single account when used within said account.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

15. 15 Posted by -Kevin N. on 06 Jan, 2022 11:58 AM

Hi adoland,

If you haven't done so already, please disregard my last post. My brain was not working. I see now what you were looking to achieve.

-Kevin N.

16. System closed this discussion on 07 Apr, 2022 12:00 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac