Roll-up Categories and Budget

Martin Ward

01 Jan, 2022 03:08 PM

Can we implement a Roll-up on Categories and Budgets? Currently, you can only apply a budget to individual Categories.

I use Sub-category details to analyse spending, I do not need or want to apply budgets at this level. However, I do need to see what I am spending against my budget at Parent levels of the Category List.

For Example
I have two key Categories, Committed and Non-Committed
Committed contains all Categories pertaining to my Scheduled Monthly and Annual Transactions (i.e. Rent,Insurance,Tax) and the budget for this would be set per month
The Non-Committed Category is split down into Sub-Categories that I want to analyse spending on (i.e Food,Dining,Car Fuel etc.) but I would only want to See budget limits on the Parent Category as the listed expenditures could vary from month to month

So, ideally, I would like to be able to see, say a monthly Budget Bar for the Parent Category and would rely on reporting for analysis of the Sub-Categories,.

1. 1 Posted by mhoggie on 01 Jan, 2022 05:06 PM

just a user,

I think you can do that now. Just create another budget with only the parent categories and it will pick up subcategories. Then when you look at your status bars you can switch between the parent categories and the sub categories. You can also run budget reports that will show both and subtotal by the parent.

2. 2 Posted by Martin Ward on 01 Jan, 2022 11:07 PM

Thank you for the prompt response. I can now see the Budget Bar has got the
    total for my Parent Category and the budget report does show the roll-up.
    It was just showing a strange breakdown when sub-totalled weekly.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac