Merging Multiple Identical Transactions - refers to business accounts specifically

(anonymous)

07 Sep, 2023 01:58 PM

My business causes me to often have multiple, identical transactions on the same day (e.g. same vendor, same amount, same date). What I've noticed is that when MD offers me merges for these, the merge it offers is always into the same transaction. The process appears to work like this:

• I have manual transaction # 1 and manual transaction # 2, both for XYZ Vendor on 9/1/2023 in the amount of $10 that I've manually entered into MD.
  • On 9/3, my bank sends me those two transactions as bank transaction # 1 and bank transaction # 2.
  • MD offers me a merge of bank transaction #1 into manual transaction # 1 or manual transaction # 2. I select the default choice.
  • MD then offers me a merge of bank transaction # 2 into manual transaction # 1 or manual transaction #2. I select the default choice.
  • When all transactions have been merged, I notice in my register that manual transaction # 2 is still uncleared. What appears to have happened is that both bank transactions # 1 and # 2 were merged into manual transaction # 1. I was not given enough information during the merge process to prevent this from happening (no indication one was already cleared), nor was MD smart enough to make this the default for me (offering me the uncleared option first).
  • The consequence is that when bank transactions are downloaded again the next day, bank transaction # 2 comes in again as needing to be merged and the process repeats—I'm offered once again to merge it into manual transaction # 1 by default and have no way to identify which one I should be merging it into.

I'm hoping this can be adjusted in the next version. My workaround is to change the dates on the uncleared manual transactions so I can tell which is which during the merge process, but a minimal fix would just be adding something to the merge gutter to show whether a transaction has already been cleared or not.

Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 08 Sep, 2023 11:00 AM

Hi,
    We are sorry to hear about the problem you have encountered.

In order to limit the merge option, you should select Moneydance --> Preferences --> Network and set the option "Only match downloaded transactions when they are at most 'N' days apart" as outlined here. Change the N to 7 or less. This should help limit the possibility of any incorrect merges in future.

The easiest solution to correct the confirmation error would be to create a transaction to replace the one which has been 'merged' and therefore is missing from the register. You may have use your bank statement for the transaction information. Also, amending the settings as I mentioned earlier will help reduce any incorrect merges happening in the future.

If you have a backup of your data from before the 'merge', you can restore and then go through the merging process again.
    Alternatively, you could try to delete all newly downloaded transactions and download them again from your bank.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by (anonymous) on 09 Sep, 2023 10:25 PM

This doesn't seem to address my issue, but I've adjusted the "Only match downloaded transactions when they are at most 'N' days apart" setting to "1", as I have several incoming transactions in the next few days that will meet the criteria I described, and will follow-up on whether it helped.

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 10 Sep, 2023 01:15 AM

I'm a fellow user.

Sorry Maddy but I do not expect your suggestion to help.

As Moneydance is geared towards personal finance the occurrence of two transactions for the same vendor, for the same amount, on the same day would be rare at best, so I do not believe the developers would have considered the possibility of this occurring.

So it would come down to whether the developer would considered the possibility of displaying the already confirmed indicator, the empty blue circle, in the matching transaction display. This may help other users that have routine payments for the same amount, to identify unmatched transactions.

Cleared transactions (filled green circle) are completely different to confirmed transactions. The cleared indicator is related to the reconciliation process. For people that want it however there is an option to mark confirmed transactions as also cleared, in preferences.

4. 4 Posted by (anonymous) on 10 Sep, 2023 01:19 AM

dwg,

Thanks for clearing up my misuse of terminology between confirmed and cleared—I'm pretty new to the product.

Yes, I can verify I was referring to confirmed transactions that had just been downloaded from my bank (the blue circles), not cleared transactions I had reconciled to my statement (the green circles).

Apologies for the confusion.

5. 5 Posted by (anonymous) on 10 Sep, 2023 02:01 AM

I wanted to add an additional thought.

I've had several occasions over the years where a duplicate transaction has occurred on the same day that wasn't business-related. Entering and exiting a flat-rate parking ramp to go to a mid-day appointment is one example I can think of. Buying "my usual" at the same coffee place before and after lunch is another.

My point being, this use case is not that out of left field, and it hadn't occurred to me that this would be an issue because the product I used to use (Mvelopes) handled this properly for over a decade.

Thanks.

6. 6 Posted by (anonymous) on 12 Sep, 2023 08:11 PM

To follow up, I pursued this instruction provided by support:

"In order to limit the merge option, you should select Moneydance --> Preferences --> Network and set the option "Only match downloaded transactions when they are at most 'N' days apart" as outlined here. Change the N to 7 or less. This should help limit the possibility of any incorrect merges in future."

Doing this just caused my transactions not to merge at all, so I had to revert the setting change. It appears my original request for the functionality to be improved was the correct path. Hopefully the product can be updated to more intelligently perform the merge process in line with your competitors.

Thanks.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Maddy on 13 Sep, 2023 09:55 AM

Thanks for the suggestion for improving Moneydance and sharing your views! I've filed a ticket in our ticketing system with your suggestion, so the developers will be looking into it.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance!

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

8. System closed this discussion on 13 Dec, 2023 10:00 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

29 May, 2024 07:01 AM
29 May, 2024 06:26 AM
29 May, 2024 12:43 AM