Suggested UI improvement: more granular tracking of double-click target when editing a downloaded transaction

gbonawitz

05 Jan, 2024 02:19 PM

Admittedly this is minor, but I run into it very frequency so "death by a thousand cuts" :-)

Often when I download transactions that MD doesn't recognize I have to edit the Category. Right now when I 2x click on "Unrecognized" value populated in the Category field MD always places the edit cursor to the Description field

99% of the time the Description field is fine - I just need to edit the Category which is why I 2x clicked there.

Yeah, I know I only have to click on tab once to move over, but this is just one of those little things that should work as desired the first time.

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 05 Jan, 2024 03:05 PM

Hi gbonawitz,

I think what you are describing is the result of the confirmation bar 'squishing' the register fields resulting in the misplaced cursor.

Something that you can try is to set the confirmation bar to 'float' over the register rather than 'squishing' it.

To do so, go the 'Preferences' on the 'General' tab.
    Set 'Show Selection Details' to 'In a separate popup'.

-Kevin N. (not a member of Moneydance Support)

2. 2 Posted by gbonawitz on 06 Jan, 2024 02:54 PM

Hey Kevin. Thanks for the reply.

Wow - strangely enough that seems to have fixed the issue... for the most part (see below). Now that I know about that setting I'm curious why someone would NOT want that Preference checked, but oh well,

That being said - I did notice that once you 2x click on any downloaded transaction's Description then if you subsequently 2x click on another downloaded transactions Category if will only open up on the Description field again; I had to move to a completely different account and then come back to the original account for the pop-up behavior to work again (if I 2x click on Category). That still feels like a bug - maybe I'll drop something in the other forum to note that.

3. 3 Posted by -Kevin N. on 06 Jan, 2024 06:12 PM

Hi gbonawitz,

I'm glad to hear that it 'sort of' fixed the issue. Thank you for reporting back with your results.

I too prefer the 'floating' confirmation sidebar. I would love it if it would remember it's prior position. (for me, on a second monitor) but I digress.

I'll have to wait until I have some downloaded txns to test your findings.

Sometimes certain anomalies are OS-related. I'm in a Window 10 environment using MD 2023.3 (5064).

-Kevin N. (not a member of Moneydance Support)

4. 4 Posted by gbonawitz on 09 Jan, 2024 11:45 PM

Hi Kevin - I ran into something today such that I need to revisit this and state that the solution suggested by you does NOT work.

Just by using it some more I've determined that what makes that Category pop-up appear for me is not setting 'Show Selection Details' to 'In a separate popup', but rather where you click in that Category section of the entry...

- if you click right on the existing category that gets downloaded, the cursor pops open on the Description.
    - if you click - for example -way to the right of the existing category name (i.e. further to the right but still within the Category field) then the Category list appears.

This happens regardless of that setting you suggested. Can you try and confirm your behavior?

5. System closed this discussion on 09 Apr, 2024 11:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

17 Apr, 2024 10:16 PM
17 Apr, 2024 10:15 PM
17 Apr, 2024 10:10 PM