Store links to attachments

Roy Miller

14 Feb, 2024 11:52 PM

I run a Paperless server as my digital filing cabinet, and it's my preferred place to store things like invoices and receipts. I also like the idea of cross-referencing those documents with transactions in Moneydance. It would be great if there was a way to store links to documents in Paperless (or any other site, OneDrive, Nextcloud, etc.) in addition to storing PDFs directly in my Moneydance files.

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 15 Feb, 2024 03:19 AM

Hi Roy,

Something that I do is create a folder for a credit card e.g. Chase Visa.
    Within that folder are folders for each year, inside each year are monthly folders. I keep copies of receipts in the monthly folders.
    In Moneydance, for the Chase Visa account, from the menu bar, go to Account > Edit Account and enter a link to the Chase folder in the space at the bottom of the form. (usually used for a URL to the account's website)
    You can use the following format to enter a link to a folder:
    file:///C:/Users/username/Onedrive/Documents/ChaseVisa/2024

Once you have that set up, from the Moneydance menu bar, go to Online > Open Account Website or use key-combo CTRL-SHIFT-O to open the 2024 folder to access the receipts within.

-Kevin N. (not a member of Moneydance Support)

2. 2 Posted by Roy Miller on 22 Feb, 2024 06:15 AM

That's a good idea. I forgot about the account website option.

For my purposes, I would still like the option of saving links (sometimes multiple) for each transaction. E.g., A link to an invoice that I received, and then the subsequent cleared check image after its paid. The current attachment system works fine for that, but doesn't give me the ability to search OCR'd text within invoices, nor let me export all check images within certain parameters--both are things that I could do more easily with Paperless.

I suppose I could still use the built-in attachments system if those other two things are improved in Moneydance, but I'd probably still prefer to keep my files in Paperless. I have a whole document ingest workflow hammered out with it, and it's easier for me to just know that's my "filing cabinet" instead of bouncing around between multiple tools to hunt for scanned paper docs.

Keeping track of these documents in Moneydance still seems helpful to me, since I may be skimming through old transactions and might want to look at the invoices. Having the information there also makes it easier to verify if I saved off those documents for each transaction, which is important for one account I manage that I expect to be audited on an annual basis.

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 22 Feb, 2024 07:35 AM

What Moneydance does is take the document into the internal structure and encrypts it in the process. By the document being in the Moneydance data set also allows them to be synced between systems as part of Moneydance's syncing process.

Storing them outside of Moneydance would not change them being encrypted though, so they would not be usable outside of Moneydance, it would also cause problems with the syncing process as you have a remote data store for part of the data.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac