manual backups: save as / save a copy / cancel save / archive all

Theodora

04 Mar, 2010 12:55 PM

Periodically while entering loads of old data, I want to make some backups on a different harddrive, just in case lightning struck or some such. So I have gone to File > Save As, and suggested a file name. But then the open file is what I would consider a backup. Perhaps this would be better handled if there were an additional "save a copy" or "backup data now" option? Otherwise after using "save as" I have to immediately go to "open recent" and reopen my default MD file.

(When I did this in release 735, I got a message saying "Your autosave data is newer than your data file. Would you like to use the autosave instead?" and this was confusing (after only a few seconds), and I was gonna suggest the addition of a "cancel" button to that dialog, instead of just yes and no. But in the beta 743 I no longer get this message, so I suppose it has been fixed?)

Maybe you will ignore this suggestion because it can be avoided by doing Archive. But it is awkward to do a backup there as well, since you have to clear the date entirely (not knowing if this will work), and uncheck "only archive cleared transactions." Maybe an additional area could be called Archive All Data or something?

1. 1 Posted by Theodora on 04 Mar, 2010 02:08 PM

Crap, I did "archive" with no date entered and unchecked "only archive cleared transactions" and checked "keep old transactions" and now I am missing EVERYTHING except the uncleared transactions I had in my bank accounts! I've gone back to a manual back up file, but I retract the idea of anybody doing an archive since it didnt really work for me.

2. 2 Posted by Brian Adler on 04 Mar, 2010 05:51 PM

Theodora,

Archiving is really meant to clear older and unneeded transactions out of your register. It doesn't serve as a back up tool. Did you know that in preferences -> back up you have several options to customize how your automated back ups work? You can specify both the location of your back ups as well as the number of back ups (made daily) to be stored. Additionally, you can specify how often Moneydance auto saves while open. If your extra hard drive is always available, you can specify that back ups are always made to this drive.

Sincerely,

Brian Adler

Moneydance Support

3. 3 Posted by Theodora on 05 Mar, 2010 09:30 AM

Hi Brian, thanks for your response.

Yeah, I understand what archive should do in general. And I did look at the backup preferences.

I just thought it might be nice to also have a better way to do manual backups rather than just automatic. Problems with computers are not always immediately noticed, and can happen from one second to the next, so I like to have the option of making extra backups, in several places -- can always delete them later. Thus the suggestion for "save a copy" or "backup data now" or some such. Thanks!

4. 4 Posted by Angie Rauscher on 30 Apr, 2010 05:05 PM

Theodora,

I understand your desire for manual backups, I'm a bit neurotic so I do them myself. Here's the workaround I've been using:

1) Open my "Angie's account" data file in Moneydance
    2) Go to File-> Save As
    3) Rename my file something like "Angie's account backup Apr 30 2010" and save it in the desired location.
    4) Go to File-> Open Recent and select "Angie's Account"

This workflow allows me to manually save a backup. Step 4 is VITAL, otherwise you'll end up working in the "archive" file instead of your main data file.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance,

Angie Rauscher
    Moneydance Support

5. Angie Rauscher closed this discussion on 30 Apr, 2010 05:05 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac