Downloaded transactions from bank -matching process

jgohlke

15 May, 2010 11:14 AM

I tried to add a comment to (http://moneydance.com/trac/ticket/2274) but got this error:
Warning: <acct_mgr.web_ui.MessageWrapper object at 0x1084f10> and a message about not having permissions to comment.

Here's my 2 cents on transaction matching:
I recently upgraded from build 742 to build 749 (Mac), because my bank (Insight CU) changed their name and security credentials. Using the new match process for 30+ days worth of bank activity was very scary. It is very difficult to tell what is going on and I never did figure out what was being imported and what was being matched. I really didn't like knowing how it was going to turn out until it was all done. During the matching, I figured that I was going to be spending the day searching for a new checkbook software....
I realize that some people want a "download all" button (something I would never use) and some of this new process is the result of that new functionality.

A couple of thoughts...
1. If a user, new or old (I've been using MD for about 3 years, switcher from MS Money) ever has that "Aaaacckkkk! Oh crap, what has just happened?" feeling, the software isn't doing the right thing. For me, that happened during the download process when all those new, unmatched transactions were inserted into my checkbook register and my account balance (at the bottom of the register) went nuts. That is just flat broken. I understand about it being temporary. It's a confidence thing. Keeping an accurate checkbook register is the 1 thing MD MUST DO CORRECTLY. ALL THE TIME. There isn't any room for negotiation or explanation. It simply must be right.

1. For me personally, I don't want anything going into the register unless I've ok'd it. I preferred the way MS Money matched downloaded transactions. It put them at the bottom of the checkbook register, you selected one, it highlighted the entry I created as a possible match. I could either move the match to another one and accept or let it create a new one. Unmatched entries stayed out of the register until the matching process was complete. It was clear and obvious what was new, what was old, what was coming in electronically and what I had entered. The balance was adjusted (if necessary) as each electronic transaction was migrated to the register.

Maybe MD needs 2 ways to do this. One for the "I want to push 1 button" crowd and a different, more manual way for those of us that are particular.

Appreciate the time. I've been a software guy myself for 25 years. I know how it is....

1. 1 Posted by jgohlke on 15 May, 2010 11:19 AM

I updated the Wiki article after verifying my email address.

2. 2 Posted by Ben Spencer on 15 May, 2010 02:25 PM

I am in agreement with you. The user should never have an "Aaaacckkkk" moment and the current implementation definitely creates one. The support staff and the developers have had many conversations about this and we are going to be making changes to the way this system works. The most promising middle ground solution we are looking at is to not include unconfirmed transactions in any account balance calculations and to provide an option to have downloaded unconfirmed transactions go into an inbox rather than directly into the register. It seems that in our attempt to make the process more automatic for some users (which has been requested strongly many times) we have gone too far and removed the clarity and transparency of what is happing, which is creating those "OK what on earth just happened to my register" situations. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused you. I assure you we are working on it and will be improving this.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer
    Moneydance Support

3. 3 Posted by jgohlke on 15 May, 2010 10:19 PM

Thanks Ben. Appreciate the info. I write software too, so I know how it is. I like the inbox idea. Sounds like you are on the right track.

4. Angie Rauscher closed this discussion on 02 Jul, 2010 11:39 PM.

5. Angie Rauscher re-opened this discussion on 25 Aug, 2010 08:35 PM

6. System closed this discussion on 31 Mar, 2015 03:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac