Manual matching filters or "don't change description"

Steven Hamilton

20 May, 2010 10:50 AM

Hi, I have a couple of suggestions for matching.
I import QIF files downloaded from my bank. In a perfect world Moneydance would categorise all my transactions for me but alas, descriptions vary wildy between purchases. However, a lot of transactions are very similar and only differ usually slightly in the description. Either account number or date at the end for e.g. When I use matching to categorise these it insists on changing both the category (which I want) but also the description. I watch the description to be the same but merely use the matching transactions category.

This leads me onto something else and that's match filters. I'd like to setup some wildcard filters on the description field for categorising. So if it is Target it shoves it in clothing, or if Shell it shoves it in Fuel.

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 20 May, 2010 12:50 PM

Hi Steven,
    The matching process has been vastly improved in the latest build, currently 2010r3(750) You can download the installation files here:
    http://moneydance.com/trac/wiki/Moneydance2010Beta
    Check your 'Preferences' on the 'Network' tab to see if 'Automatically Merge Downloaded Transactions' is checked.
    HTH -Kevin N.

2. 2 Posted by Steven Hamilton on 21 May, 2010 09:47 AM

That doesn't help. Merging deletes duplicate transactions. What I'm on about are category matches and the way they replace the description field as well.

3. 3 Posted by -Kevin N. on 21 May, 2010 12:30 PM

Hi Steven,
    Could you rephrase the last sentence in the first paragraph of your OP?
    When I 'Merge' a txn., the original manualy entered 'Description' is maintained.
    Often a 'Revert' option is offered. Does using 'Revert' resolve your issue?
    -Kevin N.

4. 4 Posted by Steven Hamilton on 21 May, 2010 09:59 PM

I don't understand. Nowhere have I mentioned "merge" matching. When a transaction is imported the matching system displays a list of matches at the bottom of the screen. Some of these may be "merges" others are "category" matches. It's the "category" matches I'm talking about. When I choose a category match it changes both the category (which I want) but also the description (which I don't want).

I'm suggesting functionality to be added. A fix or workaround doesn't exist.

5. 5 Posted by -Kevin N. on 22 May, 2010 12:13 AM

Hi Steven, Sorry for the confusion. The issue you're describing sounds like one that existed in the earlier builds of MD 2010. Edits to the 'Description' of a txn were lost after the user 'Accepted' them.
    If you haven't done so already, you should upgrade to build (750)
    http://moneydance.com/other
    -Kevin N

6. 6 Posted by Steven Hamilton on 22 May, 2010 01:47 AM

Thanks for clearing that up Kevin. That isn't the issue I'm having and I don't believe I have an issue. It's just that the current functionality isn't appropriate to me. Already running 750.

7. 7 Posted by Ben Spencer on 22 May, 2010 05:43 PM

Hi Steven

I believe i understand the suggestion you are making and have created a ticket for it in our issue tracking system. Here is the link to the ticket:

http://moneydance.com/trac/ticket/2880

With regard to setting up match filters and rules. This is something we have been discussing internally and will very likely introduce in a future release.

Ben Spencer
    Moneydance Support

8. Angie Rauscher closed this discussion on 24 Jul, 2011 07:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac